Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sage for spesific applications

Exclamation Sage for spesific applications

Hi,

I need some advice as I'm interested in Sage but not sure which rod would best suit certain situations and personal likes and dislikes.Out of the stable which rod/s would you recommend for the following applications:

a)Largemouth Yellowfish ~ Vaal/Orange (Streamer fishing)
    b)Smallmouth Yellows ~ Vaal/Orange / Stillwaters ( Nymphing & Dries)
    c)Trout ~ Stillwaters/Small Streams (Streamers, Nymphing & Dries)

From the little bit of searching and reading I've done it looks like TCX and the new VXP would feature in the 7wt class and the 99 for nymphing in the 5wt class re Small and Largemouth Yellowfish. For dry action on the Vaal I'm thinking 4wt and Stillwaters possibly 5wt.

Stillwater Trout have me a lil baffled as I'm not sure about 5 or 6wts ito streamers/bigger fish and the finess fishing ito dry flies I'm inclined to think 3wt 8ft 6 or 9ft. I have done 2 Small streams trips I think and would like to get a stick for these type of waters in the new year too.

Thanks in advance.

Ps. If you haven't got anything worthwile to contribute please shoesh and go sit in the corner.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 12-12-10 at 06:14 PM.

I'm looking at the VXP blank 7wt 10' when bucks come in...it sound excellent rod for big smallmouths, largemouths and large dam fishing/estuary fishing in appropriate conditions. It's also a lot lighter than most other blanks of the same dimensions.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Ok, I will "shoesh and sit in the corner"....
    Just kidding.
    Don't overlook the Sage 99 for just about everything you have mentioned.
    The TCX is s very fast rod, and might do for the largies you are talking about, but a 7wt...phew, thats a lot of rod, and probably won't really come into it's own, unless the largie you are talking about, is upwards of 10 or 15 pounds.
    The VXP, to me was a little dissapointing on the "parking lot test". To me it was unimpressive, and no better than any other middle af the range rod, at half the price. Nothing at all like the XP that many guys incorrectly think it is moddelled on.
    Stillwater trout, I like the Z-Axis 6wt 10 foot, but the 9 foot is a better casting rod, in fact it's an awasome casting rod. It has the power to get a long cast with multiple heavy fles, yet the sensitivity to protect light tippets.

Now... the 99, 4wt. The best nymphing and all round stick I have ever used, as also once overlined with 5 or even 6wt line, becomes a middle flex, medium speed casting rod, that can shoot out the full line with surprising ease. I use my Sage 99 4wt, for everything from stillwater boat work, largemouth yellowfish with long casts, nymphing the trout streams, and nymphing for smallmouth yellows. It's a freaky rod. My Sage 99 has replaced a few rods in my arsenal
    If you don't believe me , go down to your Sage dealer, ask him to line it with a 6 wt line, and give it a gooi. Then line it with a 4wt nymphing line, and give it another gooi. You won't believe what this rod can do.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Good info thanks Andre, I must also go and have a test with these '99' range of rods. I havn't tried them out before.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    a)Largemouth Yellowfish ~ Vaal/Orange (Streamer fishing)
    b)Smallmouth Yellows ~ Vaal/Orange / Stillwaters ( Nymphing & Dries)
    c)Trout ~ Stillwaters/Small Streams (Streamers, Nymphing & Dries)
    Here's my personal viewpoints:

a). Sage TCX 7wt, 4 pce, 9 foot
    b). Sage VXP 5wt, 4pce, 9 foot
    c). - Trout Stillwaters: Sage Z-Axis 5wt, 9 4pce, 9 foot
    - Trout Smallstreams: Sage VXP 3wt, 4pce, 7'9" (or) 8'6". (Both would be even better for more options. )

The Z-Axis and VXP are very close to each other action and feel wise...so either/or for (b) or (c Trout Stillwaters). One rod, two applications.

Of course you'll get 348396457 different opinions...but this one is mine, and what I prefer.

You'll have to go cast the rods and see what YOU prefer. If you go on someone else's recommendation, invariably it will turn out to be something you may not like yourself. (i.e....you are a TFO man...based on that, just go TCX all the way... )

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    I'm looking at the VXP blank 7wt 10' when bucks come in...
    I'm in the same boat!

Geez those VXP's looks the business doesn't it Chris? Nice and slick look to it plus it seems that it has many uses. The price tag is also very reasonable at just over 4k.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Don't overlook the Sage 99 for just about everything you have mentioned.
    Thanks for that Andre,eversince you dumped the Greys you became besotted over the 99!!! One question though, on a float tube, think carefully now,not a boat in comp where you're r'sed and slightly higher than a tube,would you still choose the 99? I'm not 100% sure yet but a 10 footer from a tube is not ideal. My jury is still out..

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Here's my personal viewpoints:

a). Sage TCX 7wt, 4 pce, 9 foot
    b). Sage VXP 5wt, 4pce, 9 foot
    c). - Trout Stillwaters: Sage Z-Axis 5wt, 9 4pce, 9 foot
    - Trout Smallstreams: Sage VXP 3wt, 4pce, 7'9" (or) 8'6". (Both would be even better for more options. )

The Z-Axis and VXP are very close to each other action and feel wise...so either/or for (b) or (c Trout Stillwaters). One rod, two applications.
    Nice selection,thanks 4 your input Mike. Seems that I have quite a few rods to choose from. I already have some favorites but will have to feel them to confirm. Next years have to have's.

There are other rods too which I'm not sure about, any info on those? ZXL & TXL-F.

Shot man.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 12-12-10 at 09:09 PM.

Re the question about the 99 on a float tube, i cannot answer, as I am ashamed to say, that I have never ever fished from a tube, but I think that the longer the rod the better, in order to keep line up, and to take better advantage of fishing with the wind, and to use it to carry the leader out. The 99 and in particular the 4wt, which is the only one I have any experience with, has changed my opinion on a number of things related to distance fishing with lighter rods. Ok, the 99 isn't your typical 4wt, but more af a 4 to 6wt and anything inbetween, depending on what you are doing with it. It's bizarre that a 9 foot 9 4wt, throws a 6wt line, as it it was made for it. Casting a 4wt line, it uses the tip, but with the heavier line, it loads in the middle, and uses the tip to give extra flick. Difficult to explain, but you need to try it.
    Re Michaels comment about the VXP and the Z-Axis being similar, I must be honest, from the limited experience i had with the VXP (parking lot cast test only), I felt that they were chalk and cheese. I didn't like the VXP at all, and felt that it reqired too much effort to keep line aerialised, as popposed to the Z-Axis, which holds a lot of line up effortlessly. I will accept that i haven't spent much time with the VXP, so perhaps i am being a little prejudgemental here, but I certainly won't be rushing out to get one.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    There are other rods too which I'm not sure about, any info on those? ZXL & TXL-F.
    Again, just my opinion here...but the ZXL is a little pricey and the TXL-F factory rod's grip is a tad small. Dunno why they actually did it like that? Anyway...the TXL-F is a brilliant small-stream rod, but I'd custom build it rather and put a better grip on.

But, for the price, the VXP is DAMN hard to beat! The 3wt is a beaut, and the 5wt is awesome. Light, thin, great actions, good looks, etc. (Again though, I'd rather get the blanks and put a nicer reelseat on). In fact, I had a VXP 5wt 9 foot blank, that was to be built for myself, but someone else snapped it up so I'm now building it for him.

10 foot rods have zero advantage over 9 foot rods from a float tube. In fact, to me, the 9 footer is better. If someone says they like the 10 footers from float tubes as it helps them keep the line off the water, it just means they can't cast so fantastic. I've seen a video clip of Ed Jaworowski, who takes the top two sections of a 9 foot rod, and casts a full fly line out standing waist deep in water (without the line touching the water once). That's effectively a 4.5 foot rod!
    10 foot rods will just make your arm tired quicker from casting all day.
    Anyway....that's my opinion.

I don't know hey Michael. There are dozens of guys here in the Cape, who are moving from 9 to 10 foot rods for stillwaters, claiming them to be better and more versatile for the application. There must be something to it.
    Also I'm not saying it's better to keep the line off the water on the back cast, i'm suggesting the longer rod can make better use of the wind from behind, in order to help turn over a long multi fly leader. generally you fish with three flies, sometimes weighted, and spaced more than a meter apart each, which makes a very long level leader, and the extra height just helps to use the wind to better effect. But as you say, just opinions.

Gerrit

a) no comment
    b) I love my 9ft 5 weight z-axis, and appreciate it being a little slower than a tcx, which makes vaal nymphing easier and it is sooo easy to cast in any application. But given your yellowfish/trout mix and general methods, Andre's advice on the 99 is probably the best.
    c) txl-f 3-weight in 7'10" will cover streams and stillwaters where full-line casts are not necessary. I love my 2-weight txl, and it has landed numerous trout over 2kg in still water, plus kraai yellows over 1kg, but longer casts against the wind are tough, which the 3-weight should solve. Make sure to match it with an ultralight reel for true happiness.

Expensive rods, but if you're gonna buy Sages, might as well get their best

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast