Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Shongweni Dam bass problems.....

Default Big Shongweni Dam bass problems.....

I must have cast everything but the kitchen sink at hundreds of bass actively feeding on the surface below the Shongweni Dam Wall....used dries, poppers, emergers and attractors but nothing....nada.....nil. Any one fished here and have some special pattern they could suggest, as I want to return tomorrow morning to get some form of revenge.

Beefy

Mat, try a surface popper or deerhair fly, but after presentation, dont move it, let it settle while the landing ripples spread, once all is still, pop it once or twice, leave to settle again. If this fails, after letting the ripples settle, retreive at speed and see if this induces a strike. Remember, bass this time of year are in spawn mode, sometimes aggressive, others also so but will not travel to far from the nest to attack your fly. Hope this helps.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Remember, bass this time of year are in spawn mode,
    Is it not a bit late for Bass to be spawning especially in the warm KZN waters?

Beefy,

Chatted to you last on the Dubai fishing ski forum when I was there...

Go and hunt them with the flies Dave suggested but hunt them around structure, drop offs and water grass...

Have fun and remember to send photos...
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Is it not a bit late for Bass to be spawning especially in the warm KZN waters?

Beefy,

Chatted to you last on the Dubai fishing ski forum when I was there...

Go and hunt them with the flies Dave suggested but hunt them around structure, drop offs and water grass...

Have fun and remember to send photos...
    Boet, our bass spawn well into the summer months here in S.A. To actually March/April if conditions apply. Only from May /June do the waters become to cold. Even winter has it days,bass can be caught, but bigger flies, slower deeper offerings get the fish. More passion from the f/fisher.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Blog Entries

I can suggest some groen pap...pull the bin and then wait for the bang...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

i have targeted a lot of bass in rivers using the pearl gummy minnow! works like the bomb!!!even when the bass were spawning and not taking anything at all, i put one on, good cast up against the edge and BAM! every time...

i would definitely give it a try. but one with a segmented body has good action.

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    i have targeted a lot of bass in rivers using the pearl gummy minnow! works like the bomb!!!even when the bass were spawning and not taking anything at all, i put one on, good cast up against the edge and BAM! every time...

i would definitely give it a try. but one with a segmented body has good action.
    Its true, those segmented gummy minnows work a charm for bass. Id back that fly against just about any shy bass..

Its become my 'go to' fly in the smaller dams since stumbling apon it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    This fly works great for trout deep down as well in stillwaters.

Dave

Geez, Shaun, I'd eat that fly. Brilliant
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast