Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: shimano nexave 12wt

Sho thats not much.. Why do you have to use 80lb backing instead of 50lb?

Quote Originally Posted by christo Stemmet View Post
    Does anyone know what the core breakage strength on a 12wt line is? I have the RIO Tarpon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by christo Stemmet View Post
    Sho thats not much.. Why do you have to use 80lb backing instead of 50lb?
    Christo, remember your core breakage increases your actual breaking strain to ''stretch'' added to the ''stretch'' of your leader setup. Backing is more of security than anything else. You dont need 80 lb if you can use 50 lb. But 80 lb is easier to control than 50 , thats all. Does not really in anyway put you in a better position. 80 LB YOU CAN FORCE MORE, 50 lb, you can enjoy and have more chance of the fish not spooling you. 6 of the 1 half dozen of the other.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Guys...

I understand that GT's are very strong and that you need to stop them before they get you on the rocks or on the corral...

But do you have any idea how strong braid is?

I have opened mustad and gamakatsu jig hooks by straight sticking 10lbs fire line....

I have fought reef donkies "Amber Jacks" from 95 meters + with 50lbs braid....

If your knots are not correct they will be the weakest point...

The GT's in the Seychelles are in shallow warm water with not a lot of O2...

I bet he will be able to get the GT's under control with his set up...

If not...

He can write it up as lessons learned and one heck of an experience and get some new fly line...

The most important thing for this young guy is to get out there work hard and have a lot of fun...

Christo, you plan to be there for a min of 6 months....

Boet by that time you will come and tell us what works and what not for those bruiser GT's on fly...

Have fun and tight lines and dont forget to take a lot of photos and post here to let us know whats happening....
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post

But do you have any idea how strong braid is ?
    It's almost as strong as it says on the box !!!

As with Anthing it's a compromise you get great strength and thin diameter with braid but you loose shock absorption

The backing you have is way strong enough You wont break it in terms of weight but it will be a little bit more scuff resistant cos it's thicker

Reality is that if it's get the fish at all costs then your flyline is most likely to fbe the weak link and will be be destroyed if you hook something untamable

If you add a fail to your leader you will at least have a flyline left to try again and get better at catching GTs than us armchair experts

/d

Ps If you need a backup line I have a few retirees that you are welcome to but be warned they are beaten

30 lb is strong enough to subdue 95 % of the inner island fish
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Thanks again! I'm learning more and more every day. Can't wait to put this knowledge to the test.. How strong should the "fail" section be as I will using 80lb leader?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3