Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: shimano nexave 12wt

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Just do yourself a favour, forget about the Stealth Blue Water on the 12WT if you're going to be tying on a big 8/0 fly and chucking it to a proper GT ... it won't last the first run.

blue water isnt a "bling" reel but it does the business

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Haha wow thats awsome! I remember that same photo from a while back, And to be honest that photo is one of the only reasons I still have faith in that reel for catching a GT. I've caught tuna before and if that reel can handle a tuna, I'm sure it will handle a GT aswell. What is the best way/knot to attach the flyline to the backing? I couldn't find 80lb GSP anywhere so I used 100lb braid. I know this is a bit heavy, but the 100lb braid is about the same thickness than the GSP. The 80lb braid looked a bit thin and I want to prevent It from cutting in to each other. Is bemini twist the way to go or should I rather attach it by making a loop and letting it through the other 2 or 3 times?

Quote Originally Posted by damage View Post
    blue water isnt a "bling" reel but it does the business
    I'm willing to concede that an inferior tool in the hands of a superior fisherman can still accomplish a lot yes ...
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by christo Stemmet View Post
    The 80lb braid looked a bit thin and I want to prevent It from cutting in to each other. Is bemini twist the way to go or should I rather attach it by making a loop and letting it through the other 2 or 3 times
    Braided loop on the fly line ... Bimini twist on the braid ... cats paw 3 times and seat properly ... then see if you can pull hard enough to make the bimini pop/slip/fail/whatever ... bet you Dollars to Yen that your fly line will fail before the loop or the bimini or the cat's paw.

Haha thanks will do! Now... Do I use a leader or do I just attach 80lb tippet directly onto the flyline?

I beleive most of the guys just use straight 1mm leader from Fly line to Fly. Could be wrong tho. Will wait to hear from those who have actually landed them
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by christo Stemmet View Post
    Haha thanks will do! Now... Do I use a leader or do I just attach 80lb tippet directly onto the flyline?
    Braided loop on the front of your fly line also, 100lb or 130lb Fluoro looped on to the fly line straight to the fly.

Point is, when you have a +25kg GT on the end of your line, if you give it half a chance to let rip, run and get some momentum you will end up losing a line, your rod, your reel, your sanity ... or any combination of these combined it's not like in deep water fishing where you can let the fish run and then follow it or bring it back by pumping it up from the depths, that thing grabs you and sets sail for the nearest ridge/reef/coral pommie/obstacle/etc.

The problem is when one of those +100cm plus boys grab you you need to not mess around, not give an inch, basically you're fighting the fish from the reel and straight sticking the SOB, the rod serves little purpose if any and then you hope you have a proper 80lb core line, that your 100lb loops hold out, that your knots on the 100lb leader are seated right, that you chose a good 8/0 hook that won't straighten on you, that you properly cats pawed the biminy at the back, etc etc etc.

Let me tell you, I had one such fish destroy me ... it has scarred me psychologically for life ... now I never mess around ... double check and triple check everything ... if you do get a shot at such a once in a lifetime Kingie, be prepared.

I'm not a fan of loop to loop or even cats paws for heavy rigs
    you can still use the braided or Dacron loop just tie an Albright in the loop
    As for the blue waters they come with a spare drag washer and lube make sure you take them with and use the Teflon lube stuff minimally but often depending how much u fish don't let the cork dry out
    Last thing is I would put a "fail" section into your leader that is less than the breaking strain of your line that way if you do hook a beast you only loose your sense of humor and not your whole rig especially if you are on a budget
    Tight lines post pics
    /d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Does anyone know what the core breakage strength on a 12wt line is? I have the RIO Tarpon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast