Thread: An English Visiting RSA

Default An English Visiting RSA

Hello - I hope someone on here may be able to provide a little info. I'm based in England but visit Jo'burg 8 - 10 times a year for work and as yet haven't managed to wet a line. I am in Jo'burg again later this month and want to try and spend a day or two fishing. So perhaps someone can advise a location nearby and suggest appropriate gear / tactics. Alternatively does anyone know of a local guide who may be available for hire? I know this is a bit vague but any help would be fantastic, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jacko1967 View Post
    Hello - I hope someone on here may be able to provide a little info. I'm based in England but visit Jo'burg 8 - 10 times a year for work and as yet haven't managed to wet a line. I am in Jo'burg again later this month and want to try and spend a day or two fishing. So perhaps someone can advise a location nearby and suggest appropriate gear / tactics. Alternatively does anyone know of a local guide who may be available for hire? I know this is a bit vague but any help would be fantastic, cheers
    Hi There, firstly welcome to the forums.

How long do you stay for during your trips, and do you have a specific specis which you would like to target. ??
    We can point you in the right direction, if we know what we are looking for.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Herman - thanks for the reply.
    I guess species wise I would like to have at something I havent seen before so maybe some bass or yellow fish if possible. Alternatively I never tire of trout. My trips can be anything between 2 days and 2 weeks but I plan to add a few days onto my next few trips and dedicate these to fishing. I would hope to get 2 -3 days fishing in, cheers

HI Jack and welcome. Firstly!! watch out for the H/jOOSTE'S, OMR's and the like. Your ff will never be the same. ( OH!! and you may even miss your flight out as well)

HI Jack is common here.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Jack

The fishing around JHB and Natal is likely to be pretty rubbish until March at least, as the rainy season lifts river flows above fishable level and muddies water in dams. Also, the summer heat is not great for trout in the Eastern half of the country.

If you can get to Cape Town, there are pretty streams for small, spooky trout in summer.

From March-May, yellowfish should be available again in Gauteng. Google "Ian Couryer" if you want a top yellowfish guide, or simply pm any of the regular posters in the 'Vaal River Update' thread for a fishing buddy in JHB closer to the time.

I would be glad to assit you if you want to fish in Cape Town.

Regards
    Albé

Jack, if it's Yellows you are after, then there is no problem.

Yes the flows are currently high, but that doesn't mean there is no place to target them.

Let me know the dates for your next few trips via PM, and lets see if the " Rabble Babble" can't get you into some yellows, as well as a good hangover.

If you are more of the VERY SERIOUUUUUS f/f , we'll put you in touch with some VERY SERIUOOOS okes, who will also be only to pleased to take you out, but at no cost.

There again you could go completely bananas and hire a guide, ala Ian Courier.

It all depends on what you are looking for.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Jack, Herman's right, come and join us guys on the Vaal for a 'taster'.

It's only a bit over an hour from say Sandton, and depending on where you're based we may even be able to pick you up en route. As the river's very rocky and the fish are powerful (similar to English barbel which I used to love catching as a kid) the staple fishing is short-line nymphing. In summer the majority of nymphs are three of the Hydropsyche net-spinning species which the fish attack as they drift along the river bottom. Some of us have developed easy-to-tie weighted imitations of each of these. It's good to have flies quick to tie as they often get snagged in the rocks but despite that best quality hooks are a must for when you hook the fish. So basically it's similar to Czech or high-sticking for grayling except you probably need to step up a weight or two on rods, 10' rod length for me anyway is ideal, tippets are usually a fair bit stronger because of the rocks/abrasion and the fish. In the evenings the caddis hatch and there's good fun to be had with ascending pupae imitations and surface flies. In the cooler months the caddis go off the boil and the mayflies, predominantly various Baetis species tend to take over. This usually means shortlining with PTNs or other Baetis nymph imitations, and some good hatches sporadically over the day/late afternoon. One trick most of the locals miss is getting to the river very early in the mornings and picking up the yellows sipping the dead spent spinners off the surface in quieter sections of the river where they have gone with the flow. So the basics are not too complicated - but the water they let out of the river impoundments often is, so we know where to fish depending on the various flow rates. Present time excepted of course!

One thing you will need is a decent pair of preferably felt-soled wading boots. Most of us have spare sets of waders, landing nets and wading sticks so you needn't weigh down your luggage with those.

The other good trout/yellowfish rivers/lakes are usually then about 2.5/3 hours away which really means a weekend trip whereas the Vaal can be done in a day or half a day.

Some of us also have access to some private dams actually in Sandton in which we get the warm-water species like catfish, largemouth bass and tilapia on fly.

You'll feel at home as some of us even fish with spiders on the Vaal, don't support Man Yoo, and know that the Dove isn't a bird...

All it'll cost you is a six-pack or two of John Smith's and reciprocation when we're back in England on hols!...

cheers
    Chris
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Hi Jack

Welcome to the forum

AS the others have said, there are plenty people on this forum that would love to take you out fishing. The vaal is pumping at the moment but there are a few people that know where to go in this kind of flow (If only they would also tell me, been so long since i have been to the vaal)

Let us know when you are here and how it goes
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"