Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lesotho - Semonkong Lodge & Ha Liphapang Village

Default Lesotho - Semonkong Lodge & Ha Liphapang Village

Hi all

I am trying to organise a trip to Lesotho towards the end of April and am looking at Semonkong Lodge and Ha Liphapang Village as two possible venues/destinations to fish.
    Does anyone have any first hand experience of either of these 2?

Any info or suggestions would be great.

Andrew
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Quote Originally Posted by schloshd1 View Post
    Hi all

I am trying to organise a trip to Lesotho towards the end of April and am looking at Semonkong Lodge and Ha Liphapang Village as two possible venues/destinations to fish.

Andrew
    Hi Andrew

Speak to Korrie, Mark de Jager, Herman Botes/Flybum (maybe at the Guild meeting?)...etc. They all went in a group there and had a blast, brilliant fishing...albeit not LOADS of fish. They got some really awesome wild browns. Semonkong looked really worth it from the pics and reports I heard.

PS: you looking at the long weekend in April, to go?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hi Andrew

Speak to Korrie, Mark de Jager, Herman Botes/Flybum (maybe at the Guild meeting?)...etc. They all went in a group there and had a blast, brilliant fishing...albeit not LOADS of fish. They got some really awesome wild browns. Semonkong looked really worth it from the pics and reports I heard.

PS: you looking at the long weekend in April, to go?

Mike
    Thanks Mike. Looking at going from 22 - 27 April
    Andrew Schlosser

Hi all

Andrew
    Hi Andrew,

Semonkong Lodge is a nice venue and worth a visit. You can either camp or stay in one of the bungalows. The restaurant food is not bad and the beers are cold. The river comes up very quickly after rain and can be washed out for a couple of days and unfishable. We were lucky to catch it in-between storms. Be prepared to travel to alternative catchments. You can go in a 4X2 but if it rains or snows you will need a good 4x4 and snow chains. Let me know if you need any other info?

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Andrew,

Semonkong Lodge is a nice venue and worth a visit. You can either camp or stay in one of the bungalows. The restaurant food is not bad and the beers are cold. The river comes up very quickly after rain and can be washed out for a couple of days and unfishable. We were lucky to catch it in-between storms. Be prepared to travel to alternative catchments. You can go in a 4X2 but if it rains or snows you will need a good 4x4 and snow chains. Let me know if you need any other info?

Regards,
    Darryl
    Thanks Darryl, that's great. Did you fish above the waterfall or did you hike down into the gorge? How are the general fishing conditions provided the river is running clear (I'm more interested in quality than quantity on this trip), I emailed Kate at the lodge but she was a bit vague on this.
    We will have at least 1 4X4 with the group that is going.
    Andrew Schlosser

I didn't do the hike down into the gorge but the fishing was good for those that did - both browns and rainbows. Above the waterfall is just browns, fewer fish but good ones. Make sure you sort out amongst yourselves who is fishing where as the browns don't tolerate fishing pressure as well as rainbows do. If the water is clear spend some time trying to spot fish - just fishing the water in these conditions will result in fewer fish.

Thanks Darryl, that's great. Did you fish above the waterfall or did you hike down into the gorge? How are the general fishing conditions provided the river is running clear (I'm more interested in quality than quantity on this trip), I emailed Kate at the lodge but she was a bit vague on this.
    We will have at least 1 4X4 with the group that is going.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

I fished below the falls. There are plenty fish below the falls. Bows and the odd brown. They're all decent fish, 14" and up, generally.

Watch out for the snakes on the hike down, and prepare your legs for a good walk.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

This looks like a trip I need to do this year...
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    I fished below the falls. There are plenty fish below the falls. Bows and the odd brown. They're all decent fish, 14" and up, generally.

Watch out for the snakes on the hike down, and prepare your legs for a good walk.
    Thanks Dizzy, from what I understand it's about an hour walk to the waterfall and about another 2 hours down into the gorge.

Does anyone have any info on Ha Liphapang Village? From what I can tell it's on the Sebapala river.
    Andrew Schlosser

Andrew,

What would a trip like this cost you per person every thing included?

Thanks,
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast