Thread: Oxbow - Lesotho

Default Oxbow - Lesotho

Anyone been there recently? i saw a thread on it a few years back but was wondering if anyone had any recent reports/advice? We've had a number of trips camping on the Sani which were great, just a bit of a haul from Jhb and with all the rain around seems a bit of a risk so we are looking for somewhere closer.

I was there a couple of years ago, but I wasn't impressed. For me the place was overpriced for what you got and the fishing was poor. The water is amazingly clear (5m visibility), but the trout were scarce in the extreme. If you do fish, try the white water where the fish have protection from being seen.

Also remember that driving times in Lesotho are longer than SA. At best you can average 60km/h, but probably more like 50km/h.

A quick report back:

Fishing was ok without being spectacular. Fish were definitely there but quite skittish. Water was very clear and you had to be very sneaky to take any in the open water. They have definitely seen fishermen before. Probably landed around 20 over the course of 3 days - generally around a pound and a bit, not too many small fish. We only fished dries, might have had more luck trolling a wooly bugger deep (weather was hot and still). We fished about 5kms above and below the lodge - good water above the confluence where the road crosses. Also fished the Motete about 4kms the other side of Afriski - saw one fish in a morning, the river in front of Oxbow was a better option despite what the pictures in the bar say (though the level was quite low which might have been the issue). Accom was survivable, expensive for what you got but it was still a pleasure to have a comfy bed, meals cooked for you and not to have cart camping kit all that way. Road in was also fine, 5 hours from Jhb.

Excellent to hear that the fishing has improved. 20 fish on dry in such clear water is a great effort.