Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 5-wt Rod Shootout - very interesting

Default 5-wt Rod Shootout - very interesting

Yellowstone Angler has a brand new 5 weight fly rod shootout...and the results are pretty interesting. Anyone considering a new factory 5wt, will be well advised to read the article. These guys really go into massive detail about the rods, testing each aspect. They load each rod with the same reels, same lines, same leaders, etc.

Find the full, comprehensive article here: http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/Fly...pleforkBVK.asp

Final results...

1. Hardy Zenith (surprise...)
    2. Sage Z-Axis (Still my favourite 5wt...)
    3. Winston BIIIx

Interesting to see the new Sage VXP beat some rods way more expensive than itself...like the Scott S4, Sage TCX, T&T Horison II, etc.
    I would have personally liked to see them test some blank manufacturers too, like CTS...but they only test rods available complete out the factory. Pity...as I think the CTS fly rod blanks are awesome.

here's the final results:

Last edited by Michael; 05-01-11 at 09:12 AM.

Im glad to see TFO is still well ranked and still relatively affordable when comparing it to the rest...

I had never heard of a Hardy Zenith before. On their website the House of Hardy list this as due for release in Feb 2011. They also have a link to the Yellowstone Review, not surprising given that they came first.

Interesting that the much hyped G.Loomis NRX only came 5th, although it does much better as an all-rounder than the Sage TCX, which only really scored well at 70 feet.

Having played with my 99 #5 in the parkie, it would've given those rods a serious run for their money.Peach presentation tool! Pitty it wasn't included..

Ps.Ha ha they don't rate the TCX as a 5wt rod, too stiff!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 05-01-11 at 10:00 AM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

I see they still rate the Tom Morgan 5 weight as a top and perhaps the top short to mid-range rod. The did not test it this year as they restricted their selection to 4-piece rods. Still my fantasy rod, but at over $1,400 and a 2-3 year waiting list, I am not likely to be buying one soon.

Thanks for this Mike.

My favourite, the Loomis Streamdance (which I cannot afford) only bombs out on the price and warranty, so if these are ignored they do pretty good :-). That Hardy must be a machine to win hands down in the US against US brands.

It would be interesting to see:
    a) How our "local" Far East brands fare against these (maybe some of the more knowledgable folks here can do a local shootout?); and
    b) How older rods (Sage SP/XP etc) would fare against the new rods - I am not always convinced that newer is better (ie my 3WT 7ft SP is not for sale!).

Cheers

Yeah they rate the Streamdance as better than the new NRX...very interesting. I knew the Z-Axis would do well (if not win it all again), so that was no surprise. Great rod the Z-Axis.

Also, it must be said that if you read the review, they specifically stated that they were pleased about how much improvement they noticed in all rods from the last shootout. There were NO dogs in this test, they are all good and it could boil down to personal choice in the end. There were no rods in this one that they said "oh no, this is crap".
    So that's a good sign...it shows how fly rods have become better and better over the years.

Interesting Mike....

The Winston Passport at USD 199 looks like a fabulous buy.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
    Interesting Mike....

The Winston Passport at USD 199 looks like a fabulous buy.
    Yeah it does!! Winston makes an excellent product...their grips are by far the best quality on factory rods. And the Passport blank is only $99.00...so one could build up a great rod for a very reasonable price too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Having played with my 99 #5 in the parkie, it would've given those rods a serious run for their money.Peach presentation tool! Pitty it wasn't included..

Ps.Ha ha they don't rate the TCX as a 5wt rod, too stiff!
    I can agree with this. The pity with this rod test, is that it is only for 9 footters, which in my opinion, removes some far superiror rods from the race. The Sage 99 would have creamed most of the rods here, if not all of them.
    Seeing that I don't fish with a 9 foot 5wt, I quite honestly cannot comment, although I have a 9 foot z Axis, it is a 6wt, but unfortunatly, I don't have a use for it anymore, as I have a 10 foot 6wt, which is a far superior rod to the 9 foot, in every department.
    Re the TCX, yes I noticed that. I think it's a tool out of place in the 5wt class.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast