Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sili-Crab

Default Sili-Crab

Playing around last night with some silicone, polar fiber and egg yarn... First attempt, the 5th one should be decent....
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Default Sili Crab

not sure how to embed the pics like you guys do in the SBS's.... but here they are
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

those flies look good man...like the prawns as well.

i think those would make fantastic sea lice if you add a small bit of orange underneath as well

That's a helluva creation!

How long does it last before falling apart?
    And what's your logic for tying the head by the bend of the hook rather than the eye? (I presume that you don't want the head on the side) I would have thought that fish would want to eat a crab from behind?

depending on the fish hey...

most of the time the fish just inhale the crabs, so it doesnt matter which side the head is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Circus View Post
    That's a helluva creation!

How long does it last before falling apart?
    And what's your logic for tying the head by the bend of the hook rather than the eye? (I presume that you don't want the head on the side) I would have thought that fish would want to eat a crab from behind?
    crabs usually get defensive and stand up toward you with the claws up... would either want it sideways (placing the legs becomes an issue with the hook eye) so figured this was my best bet.

Its tough as hell... the best part is that its soft and squishy to the touch. If a leg breaks off or is bitten off (which is unlikey on smooth mouthed species youd usually target with a crab) you can just make a new one, open the body up with a craft knife and super glue it in. You can also just recoat it with solicone or add colour to it with markers. Very versatile.

Didnt have a specific crab to tie to but next time ill find one :P You'll see the body shape is a bit off... and i used the wrong colour for the legs etc.
    Last edited by petercoetzee; 07-01-11 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    a specific crab to tie to but next time ill find one :P You'll see the body shape is a bit off... and i used the wrong colour for the legs etc.
    hence the sea lice similarities (shape and colour)...haha

i reckon with smaller legs or softer legs and tie the other way round (hook point down) to make the little puffs of sand as tho its digging, it would kill in the surf!

i'd use it with confidence in a river mouth with an outgoing tide or in the surf at maphelane, st luica and vidal! (anywhere north natal as well - lots of sea lice)
    Last edited by gazzarowan; 07-01-11 at 01:19 PM.

ya.. (for a crab) claws bigger legs smaller, body wider. Ill do one like this swimming crab next (attached). Didnt have anything to base it on just wanted to test the technique.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good, where are you planning on using this and for what species?

just an experiment... no species in particular

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast