Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Tiger Fish Newby

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    166

    Default Tiger Fish Newby

    Hi All, I am fortunite to go to the zambezi in March. Friends of ours have family who owns a piece of land on the Zim side. They are one of the few farms who have not been taken back due to some aggreement signed a couple of years back with the Zanu PF government..
    Now I will def be throughin a fly now this is where I need advice.
    I will be using a DI7 line...
    What are the do's and dont's in this sort of fishing as this will be my first time out targeting this fish.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Do's... allow the line to sink, use brightly coloured bait fish flies which are heavily weighted, 8 or 9wt rod. If you see them on the surface, use poppers and flippers... lots of fun.

    Dont's... stick your finger in it's mouth, wait too long before releasing the fish (tigers are surprisingly fragile)

    Remember to strike hard when the fish bites, almost a straight stick, strip strike. Their mouths are very hard, and setting the hook requires a serious effort sometimes.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Thank you very much for that Andre.
    And how would one retrieve those patterns??

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Benoni, Gauteng
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Hi Stephan,

    A DI7 may be a little bit on the overkill side *if* flow rates are not high.
    If this is the case though you can use lightly weighted clousers to do the trick. But for the most part, dont be scared of weight.
    Fish drop offs near sandbanks where there is good flow and you should pick up a few tidy lurkers. The retieve shouldnt be too fast anless they are actively chasing baitfish. a medium paced strip tends to get more interest from the bigger boys, though if desperate a fast strip can entice the little guys to latch on. Tigers love flash (lots of it) but your fly colours should tend towards coppers and greens. I prefer a bright chartreuse over white clouser in the mornings, tending to an apple green over white as the day progresses.

    When striking keep your rod tip down and literally give two sharp strip strikes. *DONT* use the rod tip to strike as you will not get a propper hookset. Keep your rod tip down when fighting them so that you dont get tossed on the jump and most importantly keep your line tension consistent.

    If I was you I would fish with a steel trace (#4 piano wire will do nicely)
    As while you are learning the ropes you will benifit more from the protection the trace offers than the increased strike rate using pure mono will offer.

    But dont be shy of surface patterns either. A nice deerhair mullet pulled off the sandbank as it drops will get you some stellar action, then its just up to you to hang on! You can tail tigers fairly easily, but its best to try handle them in the water as they are not tough out of the water at all. Take the time they need when releasing and above all else enjoy!
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Best bit of advice is use Gamakatsu B10S hooks only.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Hi Stephan,

    A DI7 may be a little bit on the overkill side *if* flow rates are not high.
    If this is the case though you can use lightly weighted clousers to do the trick. But for the most part, dont be scared of weight.
    Fish drop offs near sandbanks where there is good flow and you should pick up a few tidy lurkers. The retieve shouldnt be too fast anless they are actively chasing baitfish. a medium paced strip tends to get more interest from the bigger boys, though if desperate a fast strip can entice the little guys to latch on. Tigers love flash (lots of it) but your fly colours should tend towards coppers and greens. I prefer a bright chartreuse over white clouser in the mornings, tending to an apple green over white as the day progresses.

    When striking keep your rod tip down and literally give two sharp strip strikes. *DONT* use the rod tip to strike as you will not get a propper hookset. Keep your rod tip down when fighting them so that you dont get tossed on the jump and most importantly keep your line tension consistent.

    If I was you I would fish with a steel trace (#4 piano wire will do nicely)
    As while you are learning the ropes you will benifit more from the protection the trace offers than the increased strike rate using pure mono will offer.

    But dont be shy of surface patterns either. A nice deerhair mullet pulled off the sandbank as it drops will get you some stellar action, then its just up to you to hang on! You can tail tigers fairly easily, but its best to try handle them in the water as they are not tough out of the water at all. Take the time they need when releasing and above all else enjoy!

    Thank you so much for this. This makes it a bit more clear now..

  7. #7

    Default

    Tiger Fish Newby...is that a long lost cousin of mine?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Tiger Fish Newby...is that a long lost cousin of mine?
    Something like that....

    Any news on the price for the Peak?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Something like that....

    Any news on the price for the Peak?
    Will send through a.s.a.p.,...sorry was just a flippen hectic weekend.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North of the boerewors curtain
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Hi All, I am fortunite to go to the zambezi in March. Friends of ours have family who owns a piece of land on the Zim side. They are one of the few farms who have not been taken back due to some aggreement signed a couple of years back with the Zanu PF government..
    Now I will def be throughin a fly now this is where I need advice.
    I will be using a DI7 line...
    What are the do's and dont's in this sort of fishing as this will be my first time out targeting this fish.
    Which particular area of the zambezi - tactics will differ considerably between the falls area, top of kariba, chirundu, mana, kenyemba etc?

    Will you be fishing from a boat or the bank?
    Check your knots!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •