Thread: Tevere tailwater

Default Tevere tailwater

Hi There. My son is going to junior Protea trials in a couple of weeks. We're looking for more technical infomation about the Tevere (Tiber) tailwater. From what we have found on the internet it appears to be mostly a dry fly river. Have any of you fished it? What are the common hatches? Does anyone nymph it (French/Spanish)? Do streamers work? Do the locals use soft hackle techniques?
    Some info would be greatly appreciated.
    Mike

in general, tailwaters host large populations of insects year round and generally have great hatches do to the fertile waters. Fish can get big fast on a good tailwater. most tailwaters will have a population of mysis shrimp or some similar scud type thing. usually they are small, like a sz 18 or 20. gebnerally smaller pattenrs are more successful on tailwaters, especially heavily fished tailwaters.

this tailwater is far away in Italy. maybe if you could find an italian forum or do a simple google search for the place, you may get better results.

the bottom line is that trout are always trout and eat trouty bugs. the same flies catch fish on every piece of water i have ever fished. have some dark and light nymphs. some heavy ome light. some sparse some fat and buggy. have some big and small dries. light and dark, some parachutes some traditional.

every single tailwater i have every fished was bvetter fished with small nymphs or emergers. during hatches, emergers will almost always outfish a dry on any tailwater anywhere in the world. my favorites are deer hair emergers and klinkhammer variations but everyone has their own favorites.

as your son (and you) competes and fishes different waters in different places, you will find the same flies will work on every trout stream. all of them have caddis and mayflies, stonelfies and terrestrials. I fish the same exact flies here on Cape Streams as I did on the Henrys Fork in Idaho, the Bighorn in Montana, the Taylor River in Colorado, every river in New Zealand, and all of my home streams and spring creeks in California and Wyoming. the way you fish these flies is what seperates good anglers form the rest.

the thing is to find your own style, gain confidence, and attempt to attain perfection. the flies and techniques are the easy part.

Oh, and I'd rekon those fish will eat a streamer, they all do, especially the big ones

Thanks fishz

I guess he does really know all this stuff - I'm just nervous on his behalf. It's the first big unfriendly competition that he's been involved in - Junior nationals in KZN was a friendly and relaxed affair compared with these trials. Interesting point though - to fish emergers rather than dries during a hatch

Thanks

Mike

Protea Junior trials in Italy ??????

Hell, that's pushing the limits somewhat.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

No - in Du Toits Kloof, but the kids have to know technical bumf about the waters to be fished in the year's World Champs - Flow rates, temperature, common hatches etc. This year's chaps are on the Tiber up near Arezzo.

its dam exploded...

have a look at Pat Dorsey's book: 'fishing tailwaters' .netbooks had it last week and as FishZ says; trout are trout the world over.

So the boys are back from SI...

How was it and did you guys stay safe through the earthquake?

And where are the pics...
    Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Protea Junior trials in Italy ??????

Hell, that's pushing the limits somewhat.
    Was wating for this reply in anticipation. Still waiting.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.