Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass near Villiers

Default Bass near Villiers

So I went out to a small place near Villiers on Saturday afternoon to meet some friends that stayed over there and get a line wet with some fair results.

Conditions: The sky was sunny with a few clouds and the tempreture was hot enough to sweat like a dog. The pond we were fishing in had plenty of oper water, a few drop offs and lots of grassy/weedy patches that can be seen in many of the pics.

The fishing for me started at around two o'clock after having said my hello's, got to meet the new faces and set up my gear.

Since I was fishing for Bass with guys using Artlure tackle I decided that I would use the 5# with a floating line. What a choice, it enabled me to enjoy catching the rats and mice that kept me busy inbetween the cats and dogs. Fishing was definately more productive with the smallest Deer Hair Mouse i could find with a weed guard on so that i could cast far back into the reeds and listen for the splash of a take and the tug of a fish. The fish also hold onto the eer hair longer than a foam popper.

By the time the sun was down I had managed to catch and release 18 fish with 2 nearing the 2kg mark (with a 5# in heavy grass) which was great fun. To add to this i was smoked at least 4 times which got the blood running.

While i was there we drove down to the Vaal river to have a look (anyone for chocolate milkshake). There were a couple of baties that managed to land 10 carp between 5 and 10kg and we did spot a few sharptooth around. Like a real chop I went bouncing over some boulders on the way back to the lodge and in so doing turned a #3 Z-axis into a 5 piece - Oh well....... (the reason why i eventualy fished the #5 TCR.

Looks like some great LM water with a short rapid of about 100m for SM when the conditions are right.

The venue is very nice for a family outing or stay over if you do not mind a lot (I do mean a lot) of quad bikes and dirt bikes. The venue caters mostly for these chaps with many trails for bikes and a 6 hr 4x4 trail so there is plenty to do if the fish do not co-opperate. I noticed that besides the chaps i was there with and the few Pap-goiers that were on the river, no one was fishing so the rod pressure cant be too much.

Will be going out there again some time soon I hope

I have included some a few pics of one of the obstacles i came across as well as one of the chaps I was with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Talking

Wade
    Looks like you did not get stuck
    Nice going with the Hilux
    And nice fish as well
    Jannie

Well done Wade'ski ... looks like you had a lekker time.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    So I went out to a small place near Villiers on Saturday afternoon to meet some friends that stayed over there and get a line wet with some fair results.

Conditions: The sky was sunny with a few clouds and the tempreture was hot enough to sweat like a dog. The pond we were fishing in had plenty of oper water, a few drop offs and lots of grassy/weedy patches that can be seen in many of the pics.

The fishing for me started at around two o'clock after having said my hello's, got to meet the new faces and set up my gear.

Since I was fishing for Bass with guys using Artlure tackle I decided that I would use the 5# with a floating line. What a choice, it enabled me to enjoy catching the rats and mice that kept me busy inbetween the cats and dogs. Fishing was definately more productive with the smallest Deer Hair Mouse i could find with a weed guard on so that i could cast far back into the reeds and listen for the splash of a take and the tug of a fish. The fish also hold onto the eer hair longer than a foam popper.

By the time the sun was down I had managed to catch and release 18 fish with 2 nearing the 2kg mark (with a 5# in heavy grass) which was great fun. To add to this i was smoked at least 4 times which got the blood running.

While i was there we drove down to the Vaal river to have a look (anyone for chocolate milkshake). There were a couple of baties that managed to land 10 carp between 5 and 10kg and we did spot a few sharptooth around. Like a real chop I went bouncing over some boulders on the way back to the lodge and in so doing turned a #3 Z-axis into a 5 piece - Oh well....... (the reason why i eventualy fished the #5 TCR.

Looks like some great LM water with a short rapid of about 100m for SM when the conditions are right.

The venue is very nice for a family outing or stay over if you do not mind a lot (I do mean a lot) of quad bikes and dirt bikes. The venue caters mostly for these chaps with many trails for bikes and a 6 hr 4x4 trail so there is plenty to do if the fish do not co-opperate. I noticed that besides the chaps i was there with and the few Pap-goiers that were on the river, no one was fishing so the rod pressure cant be too much.

Will be going out there again some time soon I hope

I have included some a few pics of one of the obstacles i came across as well as one of the chaps I was with.
    Nothing wrong with those bass at all buddy!
    Check your knots!

Hows the d/cab cleaning going.??
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    He is just trying to show Jono that we can do the same here in SA with a Toyota than what he did down under....
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Nice to see a Hilux enjoying it's natural habitat.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    He is just trying to show Jono that we can do the same here in SA with a Toyota than what he did down under....
    Only it here it was intentional

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Cleaning, What cleaning - the more mud the better. In fact I usualy give it a good clean and polish just before driving through some more mud or bounding over the rocks (although on the old models like mine you need to re-adjust the hand brake after extended periods of mud driving...)

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Nothing wrong with those bass at all buddy!
    We will head out there some time.

There were also some real bruzers in there that smoked me to pieces, might need to use a 6# or 7# next time (not)

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    We will head out there some time.

There were also some real bruzers in there that smoked me to pieces, might need to use a 6# or 7# next time (not)
    Why not just hand land them aka those HUGE cats you did a while ago.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast