Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rietvleidam ( Gauteng )

Default Rietvleidam ( Gauteng )

Hi all ,

This is my first post on this forum and I hope you can help me .
    Does anyone out there know the Rietvleidam , what fish are in this dam and
    has anyone tried this place with the flyrod ????????????
    Want to take a drive out there and check it out sometime its pretty close to
    where I stay bt never been there , so was wandering if worth it to take the flyrod with .
    Any help would be gr8 .
    Thanx .

Default info

I have not fished there before but did a google on it and found some information on the dam that could help you with what fish are there ext.

Angling facilities are available at the Rietvlei Dam. Bass fishing is reputed to be excellent. There are carp, barbel, and kurpers. Visitors must obtain a licence and an entry permit to the dam from the Pretoria City Council. Permits may be bought at Counter 1, Ground Floor, 373 Pretorius Street, on weekdays between 08:00 and 15:15, or at the entrance to the Fountains Valley (Monday to Sunday), or at the entrance to the Rietvlei Nature Reserve.

There are strict limits on the number of cars and people that can enter the nature reserve so it's best to get there early.

Address: Irene / Rietvlei Dam offramp from the R21 highway. From the offramp, drive in an easterly direction (i.e. turn right at the crossroads if coming from the south). At the four-way stop, turn right towards Olifantsfontein, drive for 1.5 km, crossing the Sesmyl Spruit. On the left is a sign indicating Rietvlei Nature Reserve; turn left and follow the road up the hill to the main gate.

Hours: Daily (Monday to Sunday): 7:00am to 6:00pm (no entry after 4pm).
    Gates may open at 6am on weekends and public holidays - check beforehand.
    Phone: (012) 345-2274

Cost: Adults: R20 Children (7-12 years): R10 Senior citizens: R10
    Refreshments: Bring your own refreshments. Picnic facilities, running water, and toilets are available. Firewood is on sale at about R5 per bag.
    Accommodation: Rietvlei Caravan Park is situated next to the Rietvlei Nature Reserve.

Well, in the past you had to obtain a visitors permit from the council but to my knowledge you can now purchase these at the gate, speak to some of the local tackle shops like Solly’s in Waterglen and they will be able to confirm.

Wading is technically not permitted in the dam, though if you do wade, be aware that there are leeches in the dam so wear trousers and closed shoes.

The main fish species that can be targeted there are bass, barbel and carp, though I’ve never really faired well at this dam but I haven’t fished it in a number of years. Back in the old days (70’s), this dam was prime bass water and held the SA record for SM Bass for a while, but the bass fishing is nowhere nearly as good as it use to be.

If you are looking for barbel or carp, the inlet near the entrance to the dam is a good place to start and bass, I would start at the old quarries on the opposite side.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

In addition to the long trousers and closed shoes, don't forget about the iron leggings to protect you from the croc.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Mmm, never heard of a croc in Rietvlei before and I use to fish the venue quite a bit 15 years back, when did this addition appear?

Probably the species of fish you will have the most success with here is barbel, what you think Scythe, haven’t fished it in a while?
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post
    The main fish species that can be targeted there are bass, barbel and carp, though I’ve never really faired well at this dam but I haven’t fished it in a number of years.
    Thats cos you never used boilies!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

No seriously – a couple of months ago a angler lost his leg to a surprise attack by a crocodile in Rietvleidam. I am certain its was called a surprise attack cause no one knew there was a crock in the dam. I fished it for bass once but really difficult casting from bank and blanked – lets just say its not called “rietvlei” for nothing!
    No one does it smaller then me!

Thanx guyz for all the info . I will be checking the place out this comming week end . Will let you know what happens . Thanx again .

Can anyone remember if the Rietvlei dam sluice gates have ever been opened before?
    With all this rain I am seriously surprised that the gates were never opened,. Drink julle pretorianers soveel water dat die dam nie tyd kry om vol te raak nie?

Yes there are Crocs in Rietvlei and if I am not mistaken, they have hippos too.
    Thats why you are not allowed to canoe on the dam.
    Last edited by E.T.; 24-01-11 at 09:47 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast