Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Invasion of Barbel

Work in Zambia... live in Notties, KZN Midlands.

Old Carp Recipe...

Gut and scale one carp. Fill cavity with a four ounces of whole kernel sweet corn. Make a marinade of 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 1/2 cups cream sherry; 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon liquid smoke and salt and pepper to taste. After marinating carp overnight, tie fish to a hickory board with parcel twine and bake in a 400-degree oven for 2 1/2 hours, basting regularly. Remove from oven, cut twine, throw away the carp and eat the board.
    "Ex Africa simper aliquid novi" - Pliny the Elder

If ever there was a case to be made for the use of rotenone, the Riviersonderend would be "it".

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Taylor View Post
    If ever there was a case to be made for the use of rotenone, the Riviersonderend would be "it".
    Yes!!! and then you only have to wait 5 decades or so to get the system back to near normal.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

But it may then eventually revert to "normal". Unless we can get rid of the barbel and carp, we may as well canalise it.

No, much as I'd like to rid 'my' river of these pests, I don't think rotenone is the answer. It doesn't fit the criteria for rotenone use anyway, having no barriers to fish movement.
    Last edited by Mike Taylor; 07-02-11 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    They are endemic to SA, but not endemic to all rivers.
    They are not endemic to Soth Africa, but occur naturally throughout Africa, the middle east, and some parts of Soiuthern Asia.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    They are not endemic to Soth Africa, but occur naturally throughout Africa, the middle east, and some parts of Soiuthern Asia.
    According to Paul Skelton's book 'Freshwater fishes of Southern Africa' their natural distribution is from the Nile to the Orange River system, Israel, Lebanon & Turkey.

They have been "translocated" to the Eastern Cape & Western Cape. Interbasin transfers may be partially responsible, but urban legend says that they were brought to the Western Cape by a couple of anglers returning from a competition in the Transvaal and a farm dam was stocked. As usual, they escaped. I should imagine that their ability to breathe air would have helped with this.

hi guys

there is a harvesting project of catfish and small call in the pipe line. there is already loads of catfish remove from the western cape to date.

its up to dwarf to issue the permit.just hope they say yes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2