Thread: Rod Reviews

Default Rod Reviews

I am currently in the market for a new rod and i must say its a daunting task,especially if you cant cast them all.If I were to accept everything the manufacturers say about their product,all rods are very equal,which they are definately not.I was wondering if we could have this thread for guys to comment on their experiences with their brand of rod.It should NOT be a thread for discussion though,merely to lay out your thoughts about a product.If you feel someones idea is different to yours,list the same product and place your comment.

1.brand
    2.model
    3.weight and length
    4.Price(paid at that time)
    5.intended use (nymphing,small stream,etc)
    6.comments and experiences.

1.explorer
    2.guide 1
    3.6wt 9"6
    4.R650
    5.nymphing the vaal and larger dry fly fishing
    6.I find it a very nice comfortable rod to fish the whole day fish.It is maybe not "stiff" enough for a heavy nymph setup but gets the job done effeciently.It can cast a very nice tight loop,but does run out of steam at longer casts.have broken 2 tips but they were replaced within 2 days,so backup service is very good.

1.Stealth
    2.Magnum
    3.9ft 5wt
    4.R1000 (bargain)
    5.Mainly used it for still waters like Sterkies and trout lakes. Short range casting is a bit of a hit and miss but medium to longer distance is awesome. I broke the tip and it took over 6months to get it sorted so if it's service you're looking for then maybe look elsewhere unless they've sorted themselves out.

1.Sage.
    2.99 Series.
    3.5wt 9' 9".
    4.N/A
    5.SM Yellows,Trout,Bass,etc.
    6.Designed for fishing multiple flies yes but I see no reason why it won't perform as an awesome dry fly stick from a tube or bank fishing emergers/adults.Early tests on the lawn proved to be very accurate thus far and that was with a Scifi textured Nymph line.

1.Sage.
    2.TCX.
    3.7wt 10'.
    4.N/A
    5.Largemouth Yellows,Monster Trout,Tigers,Peacock Bass,etc.
    6.A little slower than a Jim Teeny in the same weight/length class.Fishing 12lb is going to be a blast I think.

Ps.Bear in mind the above was only a parkie test.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 09-02-11 at 05:47 PM.

1.Sage
    2.Z-axis
    3.9ft 5wt
    4.R5400 (custom build)
    5.Still water and medium/large rivers
    I christened it this weekend at Sterkies and it was awesome! Not to hot close up but I think thats because it is a bit stiff. medium to long range with a big wind resistant hopper was no trouble, I love this rod!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    1.Sage.
    2.99 Series.
    3.5wt 9' 9".
    4.N/A
    5.SM Yellows,Trout,Bass,etc.
    6.Designed for fishing multiple flies yes but I see no reason why it won't perform as an awesome dry fly stick from a tube or bank fishing emergers/adults.Early tests on the lawn proved to be very accurate thus far.

1.Sage.
    2.TCX.
    3.7wt 10'.
    4.N/A
    5.Largemouth Yellows,Monster Trout,Tigers,Peacock Bass,etc.
    6.A little slower than a Jim Teeny in the same weight/length class.Fishing 12lb is going to be a blast I think.

Ps.Bear in mind the above was only a parkie test.
    I didn't know peacock bass frequented parkie areas...
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

1. TFO
    2. Axiom
    3. 9' 10 wt
    4. R3700 (June 2009)
    5. Saltwater, Tigers and Barbel , and very nice to foul hook small crocs...
    Its a really nice rod, super fast, very good backbone to fight heavy fish, easy to cast once you figured it out, and accurate. Also very nice when picking up a long floating line when re-casting, it can take a lot of strain. Very nice fighting butt.

Keep in mind that the Peacock Bass in my "parkie" was not interested in any of my flies, so I tested it in Mozambique and Jozini...

1. Echo
    2. Shadow PE
    3. 10'6" 3wt 4pc
    4. R2900
    5. Czech or french nymphing.
    This rod flicks any weight of nymph very accurately. It has a matte finish so no rod flash comes into the equation and it is extremely light. I also use it on stillwaters with a lot of small trout as it throws a full fly line effortlessly. This rod is my pride and joy.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

1.Tfo
    2.ticr
    3.9ft 9wt
    4.?
    Very heavy in hand.dont like the way the ferrules dont "connect" properly.Nice grip and fair finishings.This rod does cast a very good line,really has alot of power.Besides the negatives its actually not a bad rod.Would make for one hell of a powerful rod for nymphing,especially in the 5wt range.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    1. Echo
    2. Shadow PE
    3. 10'6" 3wt 4pc
    4. R2900
    5. Czech or french nymphing.
    This rod flicks any weight of nymph very accurately. It has a matte finish so no rod flash comes into the equation and it is extremely light. I also use it on stillwaters with a lot of small trout as it throws a full fly line effortlessly. This rod is my pride and joy.
    Second that. more (very accurate) indepth on the rod: http://ncflyfishingteam.com/?p=975. I would just add that its not shy for presenting a dry, and brilliant at close up high sticking etc. (not just french/czech)