Thread: Barkly East Sterkspruit DiepSpruit Bokspruit

Default Barkly East Sterkspruit DiepSpruit Bokspruit

Hi ALL,

I'm heading to Barkly East next weekend. I heard that the Rivers/Streams mentioned above are a little thin at the moment due to low rainfall in the area. Has any-one heard how these rivers are fishing at the moment.

Later
    Francois
    AMFFF

Quote Originally Posted by amfff View Post
    Hi ALL,

I'm heading to Barkly East next weekend. I heard that the Rivers/Streams mentioned above are a little thin at the moment due to low rainfall in the area. Has any-one heard how these rivers are fishing at the moment.

Later
    Francois
    AMFFF
    Hi Francois,

Heard from Mario yesterday (via Neil) that the Sterkspruit at Moshes Ford was not flowing at all. Not sure about the other rivers but will try and find out as I also plan to head that way at the end of the month.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Thx - Darryl

I checked the weather forecast for the area & it seems that they will be getting some rain in the next few days. Hold thumbs.

If all else fails I'll be forced to fish the Kraai River.

Question: Have you ever fished the Diepspruit before?

Thx - Darryl

I checked the weather forecast for the area & it seems that they will be getting some rain in the next few days. Hold thumbs.

If all else fails I'll be forced to fish the Kraai River.

Question: Have you ever fished the Diepspruit before?
    Hopefully they will get the rain we are having today in the next couple of days. I haven't fished the Diepspruit before but have fished most of the others.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Hi ALL,

Later
    Francois
    AMFFF
    Bokspruit is really low in places (esp. Gateshead), fishing up there is tough. You have 1 cast. The Sterkspruit was fishing reasonable (imo). Flows are dropping quickly though. The Kraai was also reasonable and flows are a little better than the other streams. RABs and Zaks are the flies you want to use.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I could give a report on all the streams... one word... TOUGH...

The Bell is very thin... skip it
    The Bok is OK, but the head waters its one cast per pool... spend some quality time
    The Sterk is not bad, but you need to fish every little hole you see, that where I found the better fish... Great for ripping out plenty fish
    Below Moshe's (SP) there is good fishing to be had, just dont line the fish, they are spooky, but free rising and there are good yellows around... good all round fishing, but be prepaired to walk.

Lower down the fish is good, fish the faster water and tail outs, I also found lots of fish in the 10 meters, or so, after any broken water.

ZAK's and RAB's were working as per usual, but I found that the lower I went the more olive the Mayfly became, and strangly they got big, up to size #12, Fred showed me a size #8 Tricote (SP) nymph
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Thanks Mike,

I have canned my trip to Rhodes at the end of this week. I spoke to Philip Hills who is there at present - he is fishing stillwaters due to lack of water in the rivers and coming back early. Will fish around here instead.

Regards,
    Darryl

Reap the Whirlwind - WM