Thread: Lower Zambezi water levels

Default Lower Zambezi water levels

Hi all

I wasn't sure where to post this but figured that it would be of some interest for any of you who have a trip planned to the Lower Zam in the next couple of months. There are currently 4 out of 6 floodgates open at Kariba, this is the first time since 2000 that they've opened this many gates and with the volume of water coming out of Angola, the Zambezi River Authority say that they're not quite sure how long the gates will be kept open for.

At present the water level has risen by roughly 3 metres (I can't give an accurate height as our measuring stick at the lodge is now submerged!). Obviously what this means is that while the water is high the fishing will be very tough as there are more areas for the fish to move in and also more food available but once the levels drop, old channels will have been cleaned out, new sandbanks formed and new structure will have appeared along the banks, so there is an up side to all this!

Cheers...
    http://img576.imageshack.us/g/img1751s.jpg/
    Last edited by kevzambia; 15-02-11 at 08:56 AM.

Eeeiiissshhh Kev, those pics remind me of the Vaal in flood this year.

I hope you managed to get the furniture and appliances out timeously.

When do you think you'll be able to operate at full steam again?
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Hi Herman

Fortunately we've still got about another 2 metres to go before the water gets into the chalets and main area at our place but most of the other lodges in the area are flooded.

I received this e-mail from the Zambezi River Authority yesterday...

"At the moment we have four spillway gates open at Kariba which will be temporarily closed from the 19th to 26th February, 2011 to allow for immediate inspection of the Plunge Pool by Divers downstream of the spillway gates. The gates will be re-opened immediately after the inspection by Divers.

Note that depending on the rainfall pattern and the river flows into the lake, as many as six gates could be opened at any one time. At the moment we cannot tell you how long the gates will remain open as this will depend on the weather patterns and the river flows upstream of lake kariba."

The last time that all 6 gates were opened was in 1966 and that was only for 48 hours as the authorities were concerned that the force of the water would erode the bedrock below the wall too much!

Now you bamba tigers whule sitting on the WC.....
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by kevzambia View Post
    Hi Herman

Fortunately we've still got about another 2 metres to go before the water gets into the chalets and main area at our place but most of the other lodges in the area are flooded.

I received this e-mail from the Zambezi River Authority yesterday...

"At the moment we have four spillway gates open at Kariba which will be temporarily closed from the 19th to 26th February, 2011 to allow for immediate inspection of the Plunge Pool by Divers downstream of the spillway gates. The gates will be re-opened immediately after the inspection by Divers.

Note that depending on the rainfall pattern and the river flows into the lake, as many as six gates could be opened at any one time. At the moment we cannot tell you how long the gates will remain open as this will depend on the weather patterns and the river flows upstream of lake kariba."

The last time that all 6 gates were opened was in 1966 and that was only for 48 hours as the authorities were concerned that the force of the water would erode the bedrock below the wall too much!
    Kev, I sincerely hope those divers are being paid a Shiek's ransom.

There is no ways I would dive " Hells Kitchen" even with no water coming through. Can see the headlines, "Diver taken by 3 meter Vundu, or 6 meter Croc."

How deep is the Plunge Pool anyway ???
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Eeeiiissshhh Kev, those pics remind me of the Vaal in flood this year.

I hope you managed to get the furniture and appliances out timeously.

When do you think you'll be able to operate at full steam again?
    You can catch tigers from your verandah.

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/tigerfish/

Not fun when you in that situation.
    all my symphathy.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Now you bamba tigers whule sitting on the WC.....
    You really got to get come alive.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.