Thread: "Sage is moving to China...or Renton...or Poulsbo...or so the rumour goes anyway"

Default "Sage is moving to China...or Renton...or Poulsbo...or so the rumour goes anyway"

Recently there were rumours about Sage moving it's manufacturing plant, to places like China, etc...

Sage's President sets the record straight...they will remain in the USA and in Bainbridge...where they have been manufacturing Sage fly rods for 3 decades.

Read the full story here: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2011/f...-high-end-rod/

Makes for interesting reading.

One thing bothers me...I see they say they use Brazilian cork...not sure why. Everyone knows the best cork comes out of Portugal. Who cares I suppose...as long as it works for them.
    Last edited by Michael; 16-02-11 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Recently there were rumours about Sage moving it's manufacturing plant, to places like China, etc...

Sage's President sets the record straight...they will remain in the USA and in Bainbridge...where they have been manufacturing Sage fly rods for 3 decades.

Read the full story here: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2011/f...-high-end-rod/

Makes for interesting reading.

One thing bothers me...I see they say they use Brazilian cork...not sure why. Everyone knows the best cork comes out of Portugal. Who cares I suppose...as long as it works for them.
    Roer die pot Boet, roer die pot.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

3. Default

Miskien weet Sage iets wat ons nie weet nie. Seen the cork on the new rods - best I've seen yet.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

"I don't ever see us leaving Bainbridge," said Campbell, Sage's president..

Sounds like the same speech you hear from football club owners.
    'We are very happy with the manager and he has our full support"

Three weeks later they have a new manager, you cannot stop economics, i think even the most die hard sage fans have a limit to what they will pay for a rod, with the USA in finacial melt down at the moment and material costs of everything going up,they soon may change there tune...
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Are we reading the same article?

From your link:

"Sage retains a few traditional materials, mostly for how they feel.

"We use real cork from Portugal," Greist said. "Foam or rubber might be lighter or stronger, but the cork has a feel, a give in the hand. It shows its age in the scars as you use it.""

I tried finding a ref to Bazil but couldnt?
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Are we reading the same article?

From your link:

"Sage retains a few traditional materials, mostly for how they feel.

"We use real cork from Portugal," Greist said. "Foam or rubber might be lighter or stronger, but the cork has a feel, a give in the hand. It shows its age in the scars as you use it.""

I tried finding a ref to Bazil but couldnt?
    I saw that yes, but click on the pic of the hand holding a cork ring.

"Imoported Brazilian cork is part of the grip assembly."

Maybe whoever wrote the article got a little confused. Can't spell either.