Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Jozini and Tigers

Blog Entries

Only a week and a bit to go - just a bit worried what the heavy rains did to the viz of the dam....
    And the Tiervis Bonanza brigade is probably going to cause havoc this week end...
    Attached Images Attached Images

With such a big dam, even a lot of rain only discolors the top section of the dam.
    One year, I was there with PLENTY Rain, and only about 2km down stream from the train bridge was affected.
    The rest crystal clear.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I was there October 2010 and a friend and I had a GREAT morning's fishing. I was fishing fly and my mate thought lures were the way to go. After about 2 hours fishing, he was begging me to use my rod! I lost 2 good size (2 to 3kg) fish and then managed to land a good fish. Jozini_Tiger.jpg

All in we landed about 7 fish of which the photograph shows the biggest but the rest were all decent.

Had a guide too but I am buggered if I can remember his name!

Blog Entries

Some feedback on the Dam; Went for a day trip yesterday to the Dam, Golela side of the river inlet. We fished the bank from the launch site at Golele all the way to where the river valley eventually meets the dam (marked the area in yellow).

Golela Fishing.jpg

Fishing was tough on fly, managed 6 strikes, one hook up and none landed the whole day between two of us flyfishing. We eventually turned to bait around mid day with the rest of our mates and managed a few smaller tigers. We lost a few 3kg plus fish on bait and landed about 10 fish around 1.5kg and below between us all. The water was dirty all the way to into the dam, was only slightly clearer as the river entered the dam.

A tad disappointing in the fly fishing compared to the river downstream of the dam wall, alas I didn't have great expectations fishing from the bank. Was still fun atleast! Think spending the weekend there camping will be more worthwhile I feel.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Blog Entries

Spent a couple of days at Jozini and fished 27 and 28 September. The wind was absolutely howling and the water a nice chocolate brown. What made it even worse was that although it was cold the sun was taking no prisoners!
    It took us some time to explain to the skipper of the boat what type of water and structure we were looking for but managed in the end to find some fishable water - although very very dirty.

We fished grass structure and holding your balance on the boat with large waves proved a bit difficult.
    In the end I hooked about 20 - 30 fish for the two days but only managed to land around 10 - 12.
    In the end we were happy with our efforts despite what we thought were unfishable conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good fish, well done.

The colour of the water isn't that bad, I've fished it in worse.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Blog Entries

Thanks.

Yes, the colour of the water on the pics aint that bad, but this is near the middle of the dam. At the banks it was horrific to say the least.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456