Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stick-bait fly

Default Stick-bait fly

Hi guys......anybody ever tried tying up something similar to these stick baits the jigging/spinning guys are using?maybe using balsa or surfboard foam?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Once you've shaped and painted it, won't it be almost exactly the same thing??

Dont think you would be able to get the same action out of them with a fly rod than what you would with a spinning stick designed for popping
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Dont think you would be able to get the same action out of them with a fly rod than what you would with a spinning stick designed for popping
    They dont pop those, it's called ''walking the dog'' retreive. Fast across the surface in a zig zag pattern, just like a jack russel that does'nt want to miss a piss stop.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

A wonderfully talented fly tyer from Port Elizabeth, Doug Swannell, tied something along those lines. he called it the "Swannell Spook."

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    They dont pop those, it's called ''walking the dog'' retreive. Fast across the surface in a zig zag pattern, just like a jack russel that does'nt want to miss a piss stop.
    Yea,

I know.

But if you go off shore with stick baits you are using popping rod set ups.

To walk the dog getting the stick bait to move from side to side action you need the rod to do a lot of the work not sure this can be done with a fly rod...
    Gerhard Delport

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Yea,

I know.

But if you go off shore with stick baits you are using popping rod set ups.

To walk the dog getting the stick bait to move from side to side action you need the rod to do a lot of the work not sure this can be done with a fly rod...
    Correct, so either fly fish , OR
    go walk your dog..
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    A wonderfully talented fly tyer from Port Elizabeth, Doug Swannell, tied something along those lines. he called it the "Swannell Spook."
    So did I, called it the U.V. Baitfish, he caught fish, so did I.

I have seen guys fish this lure 2 ways......as per daves walk the dog.the lure moves slowly on the surface from side to side.agreed the rod tip plays a part in delivering this action.2ndly on a fast retreive where it darts ontop and under the surface.

I'm sure we can achieve something inbetween with the long rod.....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    I have seen guys fish this lure 2 ways......as per daves walk the dog.the lure moves slowly on the surface from side to side.agreed the rod tip plays a part in delivering this action.2ndly on a fast retreive where it darts ontop and under the surface.

I'm sure we can achieve something inbetween with the long rod.....
    I have used Rappala's Sub walk that will "walk the dog" just below the surface for Cuta and Queen Fish a lot.

But you need the rod as well as the reel combination to work together as lure action and speed is critical in getting strikes from these fish.

If someone does get this right on a fly I would love to see how he does it.
    Gerhard Delport

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast