Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bassing around...

Default Bassing around...

So instead of hitting the Vaal this weekend, we decided to go bassing. Was great fun from the float tubes, we caught loads of fish...mainly small, but with a few good fish coming out.

Fish were caught 50/50 on the surface and below, flies that worked were foam-head poppers and black/crystal chenille crystal bugger type flies.

Here are some pics:

The dam...

Graham tubing the margins...

Good condition bass...

The take, on the surface...awesome stuff!

Yet another small fish...all good fun...

Nice!
    Thats a great shot of the surface take.

Bassing can be great fun on fly. Where was this dam? I dont know of many good bass dams in Gauteng - they are all either too small, too polluted, or too dangerous.

In Natal, every second puddle has bass in it-and good bass dams are really easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Rob View Post
    Nice!
    Thats a great shot of the surface take.

Bassing can be great fun on fly. Where was this dam? I dont know of many good bass dams in Gauteng - they are all either too small, too polluted, or too dangerous.

In Natal, every second puddle has bass in it-and good bass dams are really easy to find.
    It's a dam at a lodge about 1.5 hours drive out of Gauteng...I was sworn to secrecy though...
    The Gauteng dams hold good bass...but as you say, most are too dangerous to fish.
    Bassing is good fun once in a while...I love skimming poppers over the surface, and seeing the explosive takes!

It was a great day out, thanks Mike. I had to drag myself off the dam - those little fellows on every cast become addictive!
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Fashback Bob

An option is Klerkskraal dam, only 100 odd kms from Jhb.

Lot of floattubers going there. I was out there with the boat on Sunday morning, had great fun with some large dahlberg divers early until the wind came up.

Some big fish too, got snapped off by a lunker. Hear a rumour of a 4.6kg bass that came out in Oct last year.

Better to launch at the Water affairs property behind the police station, guy by the name of Jack let me in for R30, have misplaced his number.

Apparently there is good yellowfishing in Klerkskraal too.

I have heard so, although did not see any, only carp, barbel, kurper and plenty bass. Water is mostly crystal clear.

It was my first time back since the late 90's, when some brightspark decided to poison the weed, and managed to eradicate all the fish at the same time. Yellows may have died off then, unless you have heard a more recent report?

Nice photos...

Have done the bassing on float tube a lot on the Potch dam in the early 2000's...

Did not use the fly rod for bass then.

Must make a plan...
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Awesome Gents!

Nice post, beat me to it. i've also been bassing around with the vaal out of action ... good fun! Some nice spots around gauties, some pics:

Gwydion working the reeds:

Some kindergarten bass popper fun:

Now to find mom & Pop!
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast