Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Tugela at Drakensberg

Default The Tugela at Drakensberg

Hi All,

I have been fly fishing for a year now. And am only now going on my first real trip. Have been fishing Brookwood a lot. I am more interested in stream/river fishing.

What advice can any of you offer in terms of flies, wading and just general things

Regards,

Frederick

sorry, I do not mean to be any type of free loader, I only joined today and want to learn more, but at the same time I also want a "memorable" trip!

I would even take direction to a local fly fishing club if need be!

Try using the search function.
    There are tons of threads here that will get you started.

If not, pull in at your local shop, they'll gladly lend you a hand in getting your rig setup.
    i.e. flies, tippet, indacators, etc.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    Hi All,

I have been fly fishing for a year now. And am only now going on my first real trip. Have been fishing Brookwood a lot. I am more interested in stream/river fishing.

What advice can any of you offer in terms of flies, wading and just general things

Regards,

Frederick
    What you are asking, is huge. Hundreds of books have been written about this, and a whole lot more are still to be written. There cannot be any simple answer, except that you are going to have to learn the basics, and go and try out a whole lot of different things for yourself. The best intro to river fishing will be to get an experienced person to take you out for a day...or many days.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

thanks guys, I have started reading up on some of the threads here. and have now completely lost all interest in working today!! very useful information

There is 2 days left for me in this work week, then I finally get to get out of Jozi for a well deserved trip to the Northern Drakensberg for some relaxinf fly fishing.

Nice FC. Whereabouts you going?
    We frequent Royal Natal - love the place! got two little dams there and a few streams.
    But the hikes are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkEyes View Post
    Nice FC. Whereabouts you going?
    We frequent Royal Natal - love the place! got two little dams there and a few streams.
    But the hikes are fantastic.
    It is my first trip, since my life! but we are doing a camp by the name of 'Mahai' i think, apparently some very nice browns in the river on the hikes you go on.

Thats Royal Natal
    We trying to go there again around June - you can access the Tugela there.
    Plus some beautiful small streams all around. Friends have caught at the cascades (well - above them) and at Gudu bush.
    Mahai river runs right past the campsite.
    Not sure if they have re-opened it but if you enjoy hiking do the mudslides.
    Up the crack and down the mudslides... sounds like the stomach is not too lekka after brannas and cappies
    Enjoy!
    P.S - the store there is very limited so make sure you take everything with (FF wise)

Quote Originally Posted by ArkEyes View Post
    Thats Royal Natal
    We trying to go there again around June - you can access the Tugela there.
    Plus some beautiful small streams all around. Friends have caught at the cascades (well - above them) and at Gudu bush.
    Mahai river runs right past the campsite.
    Not sure if they have re-opened it but if you enjoy hiking do the mudslides.
    Up the crack and down the mudslides... sounds like the stomach is not too lekka after brannas and cappies
    Enjoy!
    P.S - the store there is very limited so make sure you take everything with (FF wise)
    ARK, i am (luckily) stocked up well. Went to my LFS on Sunday to get stocked up on flies and tippet. So I am luckily 100% there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast