Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yellowtail on fly

thanks for the feed back pierre...sorry about the lack of fish.....maybe next time
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Howzit dudes
    Check out some of the kings my mate in NZ has caught.
    Same guy from the video link above - Peter Brown.

These are serious fish and will test everything !! Gear, knots, drags and nerves are all put to the test when you connect to fish like these.

Not bad when you can get large ones like these in your back yard !

Cheers,
    Jono

Jono
    The last two weeks have been hectic with all you pictures and magazine covers with all these fish you have been catching. I think your rod needs a vacation dude. If someone put a bend in my back the way you do to your rod I would go on strike.....strike, there we go again...................fish

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Hi Guys

Who on here has fished for Yellowtail on fly ?
    I have caught shoal tail on a fly (when I used to own my boat - sold it a few years back)

Mostly around Cape Point/Buffels Bay area .. on a white bucktail streamer ... usually after getting a hook up on a trolled Rapala/squid.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    Jono
    The last two weeks have been hectic with all you pictures and magazine covers with all these fish you have been catching. I think your rod needs a vacation dude. If someone put a bend in my back the way you do to your rod I would go on strike.....strike, there we go again...................fish
    Ok, I'll give you a break from things for the next 2 weeks, then I'm off to Christmas Island for 14 days and who knows what type of images / video footage I'm going to return with.

Re shoaling yellowtail - we caught them at Lord Howe Island using the same method where you troll skirted lures and when one takes, start throwing flies. The action is fast and furious with double and triple hook-ups all the time.

The larger ones like these tend to be wiser and hang deep around structure. Structure that they know like the back of their fins and will have no hesitation in wrapping you around in 2 secs.

What time of year do you find them off Cape Point?

Cheers
    Jono

Hi Jono

How did TCFF connect with you ?

Cheers

Hi Pierre
    I'm not sure what you're asking when you say 'connect with me'?
    Send me a pm if you like.

Cheers
    Jono

Quote Originally Posted by Jono Shales View Post
    Hi Pierre
    I'm not sure what you're asking when you say 'connect with me'?
    Send me a pm if you like.

Cheers
    Jono
    Hi Jono

Sorry I'm refering to the article and photo that apeared in our local Complete Fly Fisherman Magazine. Just wondering how the Editor met up with you guys. I havent read the article yet so excuse my igonrence if it is mentioned in there.

Cheers

Simple, I just sent them an email asking if they wanted to feature my story.

I'm South African just like you guys and have been subscribing to TCFF since the beginning, so I figured it would be cool if a South African who's overseas wrote something. The mag arrives on my desk every month here in Sydney and I love reading through it, although the latest one with my ugly mug on the cover hasn't got here yet.

I'll be writing more stories from my adventures Downunder in the coming months.

Perhaps the next one should be on catching yellowtail in Sydney?

Cheers
    Jono

[QUOTE=Jono Shales;27068]Ok, I'll give you a break from things for the next 2 weeks, then I'm off to Christmas Island for 14 days and who knows what type of images / video footage I'm going to return with.

Re shoaling yellowtail - we caught them at Lord Howe Island using the same method where you troll skirted lures and when one takes, start throwing flies. The action is fast and furious with double and triple hook-ups all the time.

I know a good place to get some rest if the Xmass Island go's off you might want somethin not to far from home.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast