Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great anglers????

1. Default

It's all very relative isn't it? A great angler for one can be pretty poor for another. The sharing of info imho makes the person in question a great person, not necessarily a great angler, especially on forums, which show very little of a person's skill with the rod etc, but rather his (generalizing ito being male - apologies ladies) skill with words and theory.

Yes, agreed, generally those who share, and what they share are usually basing in on practical experience, and time spent on the water.

Trying to define what makes someone great at something is very difficult imho. I rather just try and learn from everyone, what to do, as well as not what to do.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

Anyone who can cast a mieliebom with the same precision as the way he casts a fly, and slide a bait in exactly the spot he intended to.
    Anyone who can equally well read a small stream, big stream, a dam or lake and the ocean. They are all good anglers.

Some people are great anglers in their specific area of expertise, some are great all round anglers.

What makes a great angler? Humility and the willingness to learn from all other angling facets. You can be an average angler but only once you have attended the nymphing master class do you become a truly great angler

You cannot possibly compare Craig Thomassen with Mark Yelland or Raymond de Bruyn with Tom Sutcliffe but sure as hell they can all learn from each other.

Booger Rose Banned User

Why does a great angler need to be a great person as well, or need to share etc.?

In my opinion a great angler is someone who actually catch a fish! There are guys out there that will always outfish all others around them, maybe they have more skill in casting accuratly, reading the weather / water or just being on the right spot at the right time. I must admit that sharing secrets from their side is great, but does it make them less of a good angler when they don't? They still catch the fish. I like the element of the X-factor.

Doing a lot of R&S as well, believe me there are guys out there that knows how to catch a fish, bait presentation, casting distance, this or that side of the sandbank etc. These guys don't normally stand with their rod in hand helping out every angler around them to also catch a fish, but they are still great. I normally just take a couple of minutes to try and steal with my eyes. I must still do a lot of stealing...

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Why does a great angler need to be a great person as well, or need to share etc.?

In my opinion a great angler is someone who actually catch a fish! There are guys out there that will always outfish all others around them, maybe they have more skill in casting accuratly, reading the weather / water or just being on the right spot at the right time. I must admit that sharing secrets from their side is great, but does it make them less of a good angler when they don't? They still catch the fish. I like the element of the X-factor.

Doing a lot of R&S as well, believe me there are guys out there that knows how to catch a fish, bait presentation, casting distance, this or that side of the sandbank etc. These guys don't normally stand with their rod in hand helping out every angler around them to also catch a fish, but they are still great. I normally just take a couple of minutes to try and steal with my eyes. I must still do a lot of stealing...
    I suppose you have apoint here... Nigel Mansel was a great racing driver, but a real dipstick in human relations apparently, from what I have read about him, didn't share anything...., but then there will always be the jealous people who would never give another person credit for being great, and write crappy stuff about them, especially in the competitive sports arena.
    I think the great ones are the ones that set new trends, like the guys who first brough Czech nyphing to SA for instance (just an examlpe), and shared it will all the others, or the guys who work out how to catch a new species or something like that. I think we have to separate greatness, from simply being very good. Greatness is definatly a human quality that carries over to their fly fishing.. and i don't think that Korrie and I are great anglers by any streach, (but thanks for the compliment) as Richard has said we are, although some great people oftern do court controversy like Korrie and myself..... Greatness is a thing that carries some form of legacy, like Tom Sutcliffe's flies that we all fish with, his books that we read, and Tony Biggs, and his contribution to fly fishing and fly tying. Another angler with a legacy of contribution to fly fishing, is Ed. There are others, and not all of them are famous like the names I mentioned. I did say that I wouldn't mention names, but to illustrate a point, I felt it appropriate.
    I don't think that being able to catch a lot of fish, and knowing your home waters, or catching in any conditions constitutes greatness, all this proves, is that they have worked it out and can consistently fish very well. Greatness is about the contribution to fly fishing generally, that will be remembered and followed long after the individual is gone.
    That's just my take on it, but greatness can probably be whatever you think it is.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Booger Rose Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I suppose you have apoint here... Nigel Mansel was a great racing driver, but a real dipstick in human relations apparently, from what I have read about him, didn't share anything...., but then there will always be the jealous people who would never give another person credit for being great, and write crappy stuff about them, especially in the competitive sports arena.
    I think the great ones are the ones that set new trends, like the guys who first brough Czech nyphing to SA for instance (just an examlpe), and shared it will all the others, or the guys who work out how to catch a new species or something like that. I think we have to separate greatness, from simply being very good. Greatness is definatly a human quality that carries over to their fly fishing.. and i don't think that Korrie and I are great anglers by any streach, (but thanks for the compliment) as Richard has said we are, although some great people oftern do court controversy like Korrie and myself..... Greatness is a thing that carries some form of legacy, like Tom Sutcliffe's flies that we all fish with, his books that we read, and Tony Biggs, and his contribution to fly fishing and fly tying. Another angler with a legacy of contribution to fly fishing, is Ed. There are others, and not all of them are famous like the names I mentioned. I did say that I wouldn't mention names, but to illustrate a point, I felt it appropriate.
    I don't think that being able to catch a lot of fish, and knowing your home waters, or catching in any conditions constitutes greatness, all this proves, is that they have worked it out and can consistently fish very well. Greatness is about the contribution to fly fishing generally, that will be remembered and followed long after the individual is gone.
    That's just my take on it, but greatness can probably be whatever you think it is.
    Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Point taken.
    Thanks Booger... also there is a certain individual who successfully spearheaded the resolve to get the Cape streams and other trout areas classified as "exclusion, zones" with reference to the rotennone threat, thus being critically instrumental in preserving our fishing waters for the future. Can this person and his small team of helpers, not be considered great? and some of them are not even very good fly fishermen, in greatness terms. This is a monumental contribution to fly fishing, and involved much hard work and persiverance, over a good few years. I wonder how many people even know who it is, let alone gone and said thanks.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I agree with the guys that a great angler is not necessarily a great person, sharer of knowledge, or good writer of fishing related stories. Sure, the greats usually are one or all of those, but i believe there are those that are not proficient in those more marketable attributes of a fisherman, yet are still great anglers.

When I first started competition fishing the WP guys organised a meeting to prime us for our first nationals. The talk was given by Pieter vd Westhuisen and the entire talk was about 1 thing - "Know your Quarry". At the beginning i remember wondering why i wasn't being told about the flies or rigs i should be using but only being told about the habits of yellowfish (that B nationals was on the vaal), and by the end of the talk i got what he was trying to impress on us.

In my opinion, he spoke about the single most important thing that goes towards being a great angler. The guy who can cast well and rig up well but knows nothing about the fish he is trying to catch, will catch less than the crappy caster that knows everything about that fish because even though he may be a bit sloppy, he knows what the fish want, when they want it and where they will be. He is the better of the two.

So to me, the guys that know a lot about their favourite species and how to catch them are the good anglers. The guys that know the habits of fish in general yet also the specific requirements of a wide range of species are the truely great ones. They are the ones you could put on any lake/river/flat/atoll, tell them what fish are in it, and they will just get on and catch the things.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

But is a great angler someone who catches a lot of fish? Kalk Bay snoek fishermen catch a lot of fish. "Don't confuse fishing with catching fish"

Booger Rose Banned User

Not talking commercials. My reference is an old omie who fish around Mosselbaai. This omie wil stand between 20 other fisherman and catch one after the other, with all of us just looking on and catching nothing. Saw this happen at least three times, one of them this ou toppie were getting into the Mosselkrakers of the beach at Danabaai. You would just see him tighten his grip on the rod and slowly walk backwards a few paces - then vas pappa. Later on all of us tried walking backwards after getting a nibble but nobody conected. I tried talking to this omie but he just smiled and said that is how he always catch the fish - old bugger! He is a great fishemna in my eyes. Knowing wich fish to target when and with what bait etc. This is not Fly Fishing, but I think the same basics apply.

Yup that's the zen of fishing. Knowing there's a fish at your hook without even feeling it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12