Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: 2-weight rod....

Guys here is some more info with regards to insuring your tackle, from a broker, he also mentions that he is not aware of Zurich going bonkers, but needs to check up on that.

"Fishing equipment is automatically included in the house contents cover but ONLY when it is in the house or any garages or outbuilding on the premises. The moment you take the equipment OUT of the house, garages or outbuildings the cover under house contents is no longer valid. If you need cover OUTSIDE of your house including while in the vehicle unfortunately the items have to be specified. Remember though when in a vehicle it has to be locked away in the boot so that is hidden from sight. Most companies have problems covering items that get stolen from a car if it was visible from the outside, even if they were specified.

Specifying all the equipment is expensive I know so in other words make sure that at lease the equipment you take out of the house and use on a regular basis are specified, or at least the most expensive ones. Keeping an inventory and also pictures of all the fishing equipment and house contents makes it a lot easier to prove your claim one day should it be necessary.

Hope this helps?"
    Last edited by Andre s; 25-03-11 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    100% in agreement. My rods are covered by my insurance. My comment was directly related to the comment about the manufacturers warranty ito replacement. I am happy to pay a few rand more for a "brand" that will replace a section of a rod even 20 years down the line of the model not being made anymore. Once again, a personal view
    A little of the topic, but if you have a 19voertsek Abel reel for example and you need replacement parts or even a new spool for your specific model, you can get new parts from the new models, cause they are all interchangeable. Wonder why our local brands, manufacturers haven't thought of this with regards to warranties and claims?

My tackle is all insured under my household contents (that covers the entire lot, fly tackle, fly tying equipment and materials, clothing, waders, boots, float tube, the lot). That's in case of theft, fire, damage etc in the house.
    Next, I have a specified AMOUNT of cover (rand value) for "in transit" and while out of the house. (Insurers know you use tackle, camera's, etc etc etc while out or on holiday). So...if I break a rod while fishing or on holiday, I put a claim in for a specific value. I can't recall now off hand what it is, but it's something like max R20k I am insured for "in transit" or while out.
    The only really "specified" items are really high value stuff like my rubber duck, etc.
    Even my fishfinder on the boat, for example, is covered under the "general" clause "in transit" value.

Gerrit, I know about Zurich...my broker has already changed me to a new insurer. Funny enough, my premium dropped and my cover increased. So I'm happy.

Also, my point regarding the importance of insurance, is in the event you break a rod (from whichever manufacturer) and CAN'T get a replacement section or rod. Then insurance is a great benefit. Claim, and buy a new rod.
    Also of course, for other "non-covered" events by the top brand warranties, like loss, theft, fire, etc.

Insurance is essential Boys, even on your premium rods etc...one day when your entire collection of tackle is stolen, lost or goes up in flames...then hindsight will be 20/20.
    Last edited by Michael; 25-03-11 at 01:48 PM.

By insuring my tackle I have to admit to my wife what I paid for it ;-) My tackle is covered under household insurance but as I said before I don't necessarily want a new rod if I break a piece. In the case of my stealth it was a 10ft 6wt Ultra which I really enjoyed fishing - to be told sorry we don't have any spares and you will have to buy a new one was not good enough when the rod was about 18 months old.

Cheap or expensive crap and bad service just annoys me, I would rather save, wait and buy a quality product backed by a company that provides good service. I have learnt the hard way with camera gear, fly fishing gear, 4x4 accessories, vises and fly tying tools and a whole bunch of other stuff I have bought over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    D, don't you insure your tackle? Then if you can't get a spare section, so what? At least you can claim and get your money back, and buy another rod. The premium rods' warranty means sh1t if you lose the rod, it gets stolen, burnt, etc anyway.

I cannot fathom why guys rely on rod manufacturer's warranties. Yes it's great to be able to replace a section after 10 years...but by that time the damn cork grip is probably on it's last legs, the eyes may need replacing, etc. So at that stage, if a section DOES break...why not just hand it to your insurers, put a claim in, and buy a new rod? 10 years down the line I bet there's something else on the market that's a lot better too. And the whole rod's brand new!
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Interesting - this thread started just after I broke the tip of my Stealth Deep Red (my son walked into the end of it while we were bundu bashing next to the Holsoot - no rod would have survived that!). It was only 6 months old and I was upset.

Reading the bad reports about not being able to get parts for the cheaper brands, I thought I'd send in the broken piece and see what happened.

Two weeks and two days later I had my new tip section - Cost? Just the postage!

HOWEVER, I do understand that this was a rod that was still being brought into the country and the problem is mostly with old models. Will probably list all my rods & reels (such as they are) under household insurance. Should I buy another tip section while I still can?

Still, I'm very grateful to Philip and the guys at stealth for replacing the part so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Taylor View Post
    Interesting - this thread started just after I broke the tip of my Stealth Deep Red (my son walked into the end of it while we were bundu bashing next to the Holsoot - no rod would have survived that!). It was only 6 months old and I was upset.

Reading the bad reports about not being able to get parts for the cheaper brands, I thought I'd send in the broken piece and see what happened.

Two weeks and two days later I had my new tip section - Cost? Just the postage!

HOWEVER, I do understand that this was a rod that was still being brought into the country and the problem is mostly with old models. Will probably list all my rods & reels (such as they are) under household insurance. Should I buy another tip section while I still can?

Still, I'm very grateful to Philip and the guys at stealth for replacing the part so quickly.
    That's good news... As a matter of interest, did Stealth simly replace the broken piece, or do they have a new piece manufactured for the exixting ferrule? I wonder how they ensure a perfect fit of a new section. If you buy a new spare tip, do you have to send them the rod rod so that they can ensure a perfect fit? What if the tip section you buy, is from a different batch and doesn't fit properly?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi Andre

They did get a perfect fit (I checked as soon as it arrived) despite the fact that only the broken piece was sent in. I suppose If I was getting an extra tip section I'd send in the next section down so they could fit it.

Incidently, the warranty states that you must send in the entire rod in it's original tube, but when I spoke to Stealth they said that it would be fine if the original dealer sent in the broken section.

Ok thanks Mike, that's interesting. The reason I ask, is because I have had the problem with new tip sections and Stealth rods, where it is automatically assumed that the new section fits properly, only to have it go flying off in mid cast if too big, and cracking the female ferrule it too tight. Some manufacturers use the ferrule from the broken dsection when building the spare section, or alternativerly, ask for the connecting section, in order to make the spare according to the exact size. I cant imagine the bulk Chinese manufacturers go this far.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789