Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most embarrassing Flyfishing moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    ha ha ha! Reminds me of another thing I did as a laaitie (think I was 14)- before I started fly fishing I was into spinning for leeries.....
    hahaha Kevin i am so glad now it was fly fishing !!!!

Picking up the pace on the way back from Beat 4 on the Elandspad with Kevin Cox right on my heels a few weeks back, my foot clipped a rock on a descent and I went into free flight. Fortunately my feet came into contact with mother earth first, but the angle of my body was so far forward inclined that the foot contact launched me off into another series of free flights, with every step propelling me to new heights. I refused to take the plunge though and decided to go for it, picking up the pace even further, desperately trying to get my posture in a upright position again. Alas, the descent continued, with yet more rocks and steps before me. Realising that a crash landing was imminent, my mind immediately went into survival mode and I started seeking a soft landing strip on the side of the path to launch myself into. My undercarriage could take no more of this abuse and casting my rod aside at the same moment of final touch down, I propelled myself into a nearby tolbos, the softest I could find at the time.

It was a happy landing though, the bush broke my fall beautifully and the only damage I suffered was another small mark on my Abel, and a bit of a dent to my ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Picking up the pace on the way back from Beat 4 on the Elandspad with Kevin Cox right on my heels a few weeks back, my foot clipped a rock on a descent and I went into free flight. Fortunately my feet came into contact with mother earth first, but the angle of my body was so far forward inclined that the foot contact launched me off into another series of free flights, with every step propelling me to new heights. I refused to take the plunge though and decided to go for it, picking up the pace even further, desperately trying to get my posture in a upright position again. Alas, the descent continued, with yet more rocks and steps before me. Realising that a crash landing was imminent, my mind immediately went into survival mode and I started seeking a soft landing strip on the side of the path to launch myself into. My undercarriage could take no more of this abuse and casting my rod aside at the same moment of final touch down, I propelled myself into a nearby tolbos, the softest I could find at the time.

It was a happy landing though, the bush broke my fall beautifully and the only damage I suffered was another small mark on my Abel, and a bit of a dent to my ego.

ha ha ha! Ja- It was quite funny, yet at the time I got seriously stressed! One minute Chris was tripping and the next he was sprinting down the path, his nose almost touching the ground! And then his rod and reel were cast aside and all I saw was him do a swan dive (with 180 degree turn in the air so as to land on his side/back) off the path and down the cliff! From where I was I thought he was screwed and so I went running up to him, only to find him sprawled in the middle of a bush laughing! Was a sight to see!
    Last edited by KevinC; 18-10-06 at 01:20 PM. Reason: .

I remember my first day of saltwater fly fishing down at Blakes Beach and very little knowledge of the sea. I arrived on a beautiful summer day. It was well into high tide with just a few rocks still sticking out. I summed this story up from the beach and watching the waves wash over the rocks i thought it doesn't look so bad from here. Plunged into the water and headed out for the first rock. Rod, moon bag and mantjie in the air I soon started to realise that conditions out here are a bit different than viewed from the beach. Well i made it to this rock. I was clever enough to wait for the rolling set to stop first before making my attempt of getting onto dry land. With a few bumps and once being washed around the rock i put my foot on dry ground and stood up, ge bukkend, but i managed to get my balance right. Now to get this mantjie around my waist. I bought the completely wrong strap the previous day and had a belt like thing with buckle and all ( i have a bunjee cord now ). Telling you this thing was a bitch to get on and i was not standing on flat ground. Now busy trying to get this thing i was completely unaware of the rolling waves marching in. The wave hit and i bliksemed almost head first into the debths. Still had my rod and mantjie in the hand i was not gonna give up that soon. Once more and i made it, even had the mantjie around my waist. Stripped of some line, was just about to make my first cast and a wave took me once again by surprise and i went for another dip. I got that mantjie off quicker than i can get it on and made my way for shore. I noticed a few rock and surf manne having a good chuckle on the beach. I had by this time probably chased about every fish away in casting distance.

Gogga Banned User

Great stories guy's - for me - I have two stories that just seem to haunt me.

1. Fishing in the UK on a chalk stream, two poms and I, mid winter so we are chasing Grayling, the best method is to Cheq nymph them - so we are fishing, and my two mates are three up and rubbing it in (England had just won the world cup at the time) - Being a competitive bastard that I am - I spot a big Grayling sulking in a tight spot - I proceed to sneak up on it and have only a small Island to step onto - to make a perfect cast, and whack that bloody fish - I step out onto the Island (covered in leaves) and got straight down to my belly button, (not tera firma - rather Floating leaves)- my momentum caries me forward and I end up, up to my ears in cold water in February - I turn to find my mates pissing themselves laughing .............

2. I go sea trout fishing in Wales on the Tefi - modus operandi - wait till its dark, go down to the river and fly-fish till 4am. I'm down at the river, knee deep in a pool and casting to the dark bank in front of me - I hear a strange noise behind me - my mind starts running wild (as you do) and the noise is getting nearer and nearer - a sort of dragging sound (just like some one sneaking up on you with a big stick- if you know what I mean) Sh1tting myself and thinking what I'm going to do with my 7 weight rod as a weapon. I brace myself to do combat - I spin around and look straight into the eyes of a big Donkey (that’s come for a sugar lump) don’t know who got the biggest fright - been told that the ruckus that followed could be heard a mile in either direction as we both went for opposite banks - needles to say, no self respecting sea trout came near me that night.

All the best
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    "Just give me a few minutes" he said, as he walked back to the car. With an outstretched lip with fly attached displayed in the rearview mirror, he did the act, pushing the fly all the way through, snipped the barb off and pulled the fly out the other way again!

Needless to say, I will go to war with Gary anyday
    Well, my mate Kane had a similar experience on the Tongariro in July. We were standing 15m apart fishing up a nice pool with heavy nymph rigs and a downstream breeze, when I hear Kane's voice:
    "Kev, come over here a minute will you?"

I wade on over and he's pointing to his cheek saying:
    "I think I hooked myself".

Sure enough there's a #14 pheasant tail stuck in his cheek 2 inches below the eye. I'm struggling to contain my sniggers as we wade to the bank. Poor sport that is is he won't let me take a picture. But I push the barb through (must be sore, there's tears in his eyes), crimp it with the leatherman, and out it comes. Needless to say Kane bought the beers that night in return for my silence.

Guided a few mates on the Vaal, and got them into fish quite quickly, but I had given them some advice.

1. If you'r going to fall, toss you rod so you dont break it, I did'nt and broke mine.
    2. When walking on the island watch out for snakes, I almost stood on one.
    3. Always cover up yourself with sunblock, I got burnt.

theres more and they still rag me.
    To paint lines on a silver stretch of stream, is to be humbled by nature and to be closer to thy maker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12