Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5 flies for Lakies

very nice fly there Mr Kieser like the idea for the bead!

one fly that i will always carry with me is a filoplume dragon in olive and brown! various sizes!

has always produced fish. dont know about lakies, but definitely in Natal!

Havent fished Lakies but for the Natal dams:

Olive filoplume dragon - size 10
    black bead head bugger -12
    san jan - 14
    walkers killer - 14
    white death -14

esentials!

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Did anyone notice how many times gold is mentioned in this thread, and that all those that mentioned it put it at #1 on their list?

Very interesting!
    New secret weapon for 2011? - Black Label Blob! Black 'n gold
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    very nice fly there Mr Kieser like the idea for the bead!

one fly that i will always carry with me is a filoplume dragon in olive and brown! various sizes!

has always produced fish. dont know about lakies, but definitely in Natal!
    Great pattern, I can never get a hold of decent filoplume though! Resorted to the Papa-roach: much quicker to tie, materials are readily available and it has just as much movement. Super effective at Lakies around stucture.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    As requested:

Hook: Dohiku 302 #8
    Tail: Black Marabou with mono loop as tail guard
    Tag: Glo Brite Floss - #11
    Body: Hends Flash Blend - Blue/Black
    Hackle: Black Hen
    Weight: 3.5mm tungsten tied on top of the shank with .60 Mono melted into a ball to stop the bead sliding off.
    Shot G! Lekka pattern, will definitly tie some up. Got a slight variation on that - has been CLEANING UP for me on the streams for the past season (Natal and WC)! Will test on Lakies next time Im there. I shall send you a pic...

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Shot G! Lekka pattern, will definitly tie some up. Got a slight variation on that - has been CLEANING UP for me on the streams for the past season (Natal and WC)! Will test on Lakies next time Im there. I shall send you a pic...
    sure you don't want to post it here or if you're sending it to G...i'm also a G haha

i found some nice filoplume feathers a while back and i bought a decent amount to last me.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Rob View Post
    Havent fished Lakies but for the Natal dams:

Olive filoplume dragon - size 10
    black bead head bugger -12
    san jan - 14
    walkers killer - 14
    white death -14

esentials!
    Love those flies, include the filoplume damsel to your arsenal, cant go wrong.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Booger Rose Banned User

I will take 5 Olive Woolly Buggers.

Here goes.....

Peach Marabou Jig - Phillip's pattern - been the top pattern for last three seasons.
    Brown Cactus Bugger - Old as the hills and was definitely the best pattern on Lakies until Phillip came along with his pink tendencies Works best in autumn and winter when the weed dies off.
    Olive Marabou Jig - simply because there is spce for another fly on the leader. In spring it should be a bright olive to match the new weed growth.
    Orange Booby
    Black Booby with orange eyes

Maybe one more ------ Brown Crab Booby - been working VERY well

The orange and black Boobies are fished on a Di7 over a gravel bottom but right on the bottom in two to seven meters of water - two or even three at a time and the crab Boobie is fished in areas with bigger boulders/rocks. I never fish the Boobies in areas with weed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123