Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Brush Flies

Default More Brush Flies

Here are some more Brush Flies.

The black ones are tied on 8/0 Trey Combs hooks and the Chartreuse ones are tied on 7/0 Mustad SS68S.

The brushes were made with a twister built for me by Louis de Jager's father in law - serious tool!!!!!

I used thin stainless wire and SF blend for the brush and the rest of the fly is pretty much the same as a Deceiver.

Cheers
    MC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very much pretty!

What diameter wire are you using? The stuff by Hareline (0.065") or Fishient's fine or medium? I find SF to be quite stiff and medium wire is required.Material such as Polar fibre is easily twisted with fine wire.

Again, cool stuff Mc!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 29-03-11 at 12:16 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Very cool indeed!!!

Gerrit

I got the wire from a bead shop in Slaapstad. Not sure how thick it is but I think it's somewhere close to .60

My custom dubbing twister is the secret weapon.

Most wires break when working with SF but this twister has more "spring" in the hook and this allows for a much tighter spin and also for a much higher density of material - even with stiff fibres like SF. These brushes can be spun so tight that you can trim the flies like deerhair.....

These flies are fun to tie and one of the few patterns where a combo of synthetic and natural works well.

Cheers
    MC

Love these. Can I put in an order for a few of these?

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Here are some more Brush Flies.

The brushes were made with a twister built for me by Louis de Jager's father in law - serious tool!!!!!

MC
    MC, sorry to be a neauseance, but what do you mean the brushes were "made"?
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Et

As with the rods you build there is a large investment in time and materials

MC ties way better and quicker than I do

I don't sell my flies but if I had to they would be not be viable Because of the cost

here is my costing on the brush flys

Hook gama sl12 8/0. R7
    Deciever hackles R60 rand a pack (8 flys from two packs ) R15
    Brushes R32 a pack (4 flys from a pack ) 8
    Buck tail ,flash and epoxy R2
    Eyes prismatic Pair R 5
    Material cost is R37
    then comes the time

It takes me 4-6 hrs to tie 6 brush flies even at a super modest Rates its too much time spent

My last ones using high build have 4 coats of epoxy and probably need another two

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Denton thats some serious bucks you are talking about.
    But you are spot on in terms of costing.

MC, those are real nice, but what do intend on catching with them? Largies? Bass?
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Dizzy, they were tied for the salt. Can't wait to fish them.

Peter, the brushes were made with a dubbing twister. Google turbo dubbing twister or do a search on Flytalk - you'll see what I mean. The main component of mine was made by Louis de Jager's father in law. It's a thing of beauty and works brilliantly. Send Louis a mail on here, maybe he can twist his fil's arm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast