Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Breede River

Smile Breede River

Hi Guys!
    I'm wondering who's going to tell me if there's a spot on the banks of the Breede where I can pitch a tent for a night or two, and hire something to float on in order to catch some of those bass with the little lips. The flotation device (canoe, float tubes, etc.) is important since I don't have my own. Is there such a place anywhere in the Breede valley? I'm hoping to load the swambo and head over there beginning May. Also, the river isn't generally in a bad mood that time of the year is it?
    Any advice from anyone will be appreciated. A lot.
    Cheers!
    LeRoy

Hi Leroy,

do a google search for bonnievale+breede and you should come up with plenty places. I am not sure about the rental of watercraft though.

Cheers
    G
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Thanks G!
    Got a couple numbers that way already, but can't find one that makes it clear that they rent out watercraft. Will make a couple of calls though. Somebody must have something! Man, 'sploring for spots can be a tough job.
    Anything for a cheesed-off bronzeback, though.
    Tight lines!

Also found this great site:
    http://www.budget-getaways.co.za/

Select Find a Getaway and then select Getaway Type: On the Water

LeRoy, lots of self-catering spots on the Bree offer the use of some form of row-boat for free. The budget getaway boekie is my getaway bible dude - go to their website it's great, and also buy the book. The Rivierplaas cottages near Swellendam offer a boat and the fishing is pretty good from what I hear.
    The best advice regarding the Breede I can give (for bass) is to find a place with some rocky features and / or rapids, as this is waht smallmouths dig.
    w

ps i've also been to "Peet se plek" in Bonnievale - there is a cool 2-man canoe on offer (free) - maybe just take your own paddle.

Hi Leroy

If it's structure and rapids you are looking for then the Bontebok National Park by Swellendam is the place. Lots of islands, rapids, pools and structure. They charge R30.00 for the day. Gate opens at 7:00am and closes at 6:00pm. You don't need a floating device there. All great river fishing on foot. I'll be there easter. I'll post some photos when i get back. I have a pencil duck stashed away at Swellendam. I been tempted to use it but most of the fishing in that area can be done on foot. Although i have found some big pools that is great for float tubing. But most of the good waters can be fished from the bank. I have also seen huge carp in the rapids, hope to land one this time.

Cheers

Also found this great site:
    http://www.budget-getaways.co.za/
    Do you know if there is a web site like that, for Gauteng Free state

Ta

Quote Originally Posted by Deneys View Post
    Do you know if there is a web site like that, for Gauteng Free state

Ta
    Do people go there on holiday??

Just kidding

Default I Frikin Hope so

Yes for the yellow action bass as well and may be to visit the family

Good day my sirs!
    Thanks for all the help, guys!
    Think I'm gonna give the Bontebok park a go. Sounds good. I'll find a campsite in budget getaways, I'm sure, unless you can pitch a tent somewhere in the park. Last time I fished the breede I stayed at Otter's Bend, and launched their canoe from Breede Escape. This is in the Bonnievale area. Man, those carp! I will also stock up on some carp flies, thank you very much. In places I got to within 6 feet of carp just waiting for any tasty morsels to drift by, and man, did I wish I had some nymphs on me. But the mission is a 20 inch smallie on fly. I appreciate the help, dudes. I'm sure it will help me reach that end.
    Keep it real..

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast