Thread: Fresh meat from the far north

Default Fresh meat from the far north

Hi Guys!

I've already posted a thread, and got many good answers, but I thought I'd introduce my self properly.

My name i Alex. Born and raised in Norway, and lived a few years in New Zealand and Australia. The reason I found your forum is because I'm going to SA with the missy in July and needed some info about possible fishing in Africa during that time. Hopefully I will meet some of you that so kindly offered to show me a couple of places this July.

As for the fishing I do up here, I start the season fishing for northern pike. We get some real monsters in the spring:

After that it is time to focus on trout. We only have wild browntrout in Norway. I do most of my fishing in rivers.
    As the season progresses there is fishing for Atlantic salmon, Arctic char and a bunch of different salt water fish like sea bass, cod and coal fish. In the winter I go to the tropics to fish for the usual species Bonefish, tarpon and the like. There is a link to my website in my signature if you want to se some photos. But here is a couple:

This is a local fish (called Asp) in the same family as you yellowfish I belleive. It's the only European fish of the carp family that is a true predator and only lives of eating other fish. A strong fish that hunts like a tarpon.

Have a nice rest of the weekend all of you!

Cheers
    Alex
    Last edited by arcticfly; 03-04-11 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Photos to big

Hi Alex, welcome to the forum!

I already had a look at your site after your first post and it made me green with envy You may been to some beautiful places and caught some fantastic fish.

I am sure that you will find many people on here willing to assist with advice and information about your trip and definitely an invite to fish or have a beer too
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Thank you for the welcome Willaby!

I have been fortunate enought to have seen many beautiful places on this planet (allways on a thight budget and a fly rod in hand), but now is the time to visit a continent I've never been before. SA seems like the cheaper option when it comes to Africa, and from what I have gathered in a years subscription to "the complete flyfisher" it is a beautiful country. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Hi Alex

Wow, we don't have fish like that around here but we do have a good coastline but Mozambique or namibia/angola would be your best bets to consider for big saltwater gamefish.

For good freshwater fishing you can target trout (brown and rainbow) in KZN mountains and cape streams (generally tiny trout) or even Lesotho if you are very adventurous.

Yellowfishing on the vaal is also good but the water quality is disgusting and as A South African I am embarrassed to recommend that to a tourist. For yellows you could get hold of one of the Cape guys to take you up the olifants to target the famed Clanwilliam Yellowfish (bass too).

Enjoy but be wise and be safe and don't ever fish isolated places alone.

Hi
    as per our previous emails, once you are in the Cape, we will go and fish.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension