Thread: Bass on Fly at De Voetpadkloof

Default Bass on Fly at De Voetpadkloof

We arrived at De Voetpadkloof on Friday afternoon at 15:00 and s.etup camp. At about 17:00 I had headed down to the dam for some fishing. The Friday afternoon delivered no fish. There were however a lot of activity, but mainly by small bass of about 3" long.

Saturday morning at about 05:00 I head back down to the dam. I fish a Foam Hopper #10 floating on the surface. I only twitch it every minute or so. After my 3rd Cast on the 2nd twitch I spot a rise behind my fly. The fly gets sucked in by a nice Bigmouth Bass, STRIKE. Fight is on, 1 minute later a land a 10", 800gr, Bigmouth Bass, my first on FLY. The rest of the morning delivers no Fish.

Saturday Midday, I head down to the reedbeds and work all along the reedbeds, after 40minutes of working the same section with a #10 Woolly bugger, I get hit hard by a slightly smaller bass. I land no. 2.

Saturday Afternoon, I take my 2 nephews along to let them try and have some fun on their spinningrods. I stick to the Woolly bugger, as their is no surface activity. 20 minutes in, I hook into my biggest catch for the weekend at about 1kg Bass. I switch to a #8 Red Eye Damsel, and on my 3rd cast land a small 5" Bass.

Total for the weekend was 4 Bass.
    Takes on the surface was very subtle and slow. While takes below the surface was fast and aggressive with no bumps. A float tube would help when going to explore the water, as there is just certain areas you can not reach without 1. Those were the places I wanted to fish the most. There will be a next time.

Cheers,

Frederick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice catches! ...Still my most favorite place to go camping!
    Also the venue I had the most fun with, catching bass with a flyrod.. about 1.5 years ago ... I was standing on the dam wall ... casting about 6 - 10m in ... everything was quiet ....until the sun disappeared behind that hill ...then all hell broke loose! ...I got 28 bass, in about 30 minutes time ...all on top water ... it was a situation of cast, wait fir the ripples to dissapear, FISH ON .....then cast again ....wait for ripples ....FISH ON! ... man I love that place! ...

I enjoy the campsite as well. And the best is all the campers are always friendly.

Next time I will wait for the sone to go down before I fish. Sounds like you had an absolute blast Fly Fishing there.

Super report back Frederick, sounds like you had a great time.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Hi Andrew,

Yeah it was pretty good, thank you. Just wished I could have hooked into a couple of bigger bass. But I will out smart them on my next tri.

Great report back, thanks for sharing. Even though the fishing was slow, sounds like you had fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Great report back, thanks for sharing. Even though the fishing was slow, sounds like you had fun.
    Hi Michael,

Thank you, fishing was a bit slow. But the guys with spinning rods found it a lot slower than what I did. Lots of them resorted to useing earthworms. Even with the Earthworms they then only managed to catch some. The ones that they did catch were all less than 4"