Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surface patterns

Default Surface patterns

Hi gents......almost the end of our saltwater season....well atleast here in the western cape.so time to reminisce and scrutinise tactics etc......so my question is do u have a favourite surface pattern or do u use various options depending on target species.maybe the wc guys can specify specifically for leeries as that is the target species we mainly experiene.looking forward to ur response
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Not much I can contribute.
    Went to Hermanus lagoon 2x, that is all the Salt I did.

So I would appreciate your advice.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hi korrie......well I tried various options this summer with no one option producing more than the other.......crease fly,flipper and surfboard foam shaped poppers......would like to try balsa aswell.so afraid I can't help much.....

Stephen Smith

Hey Stephen

My favorite surface fly at the moment is a tubefly popper.

I like it better for two reasons mainly. One, the hook sits far back, so the hookup rate is very good. This also allows me to use short shank hooks for improved hookups.

Secondly, because there is no hook attached to the popper body that keels the popper in an upright position, the popper bounces from side to side (and sometimes even dives) when retrieved. I have fished this popper as a normal, hook-attached, fly and I must say that I prefer the tube version's action.

It casts easily and packs a lot of noise for such a smallish fly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hey stephen,

For me...Was a strange season. I caught less fish but learnt more than any season in the past.

I managed to break my Grunter curse, Improved my sight fishing and fish spotting and wading at least 20 fold. I even got chased by a shark in a western cape estuary. (I hope that was a last too)

I didnt get the Smoothhound I wanted so badly as for some reason they seemed to have vanished for the most part in the latter half of the season. Whether it was overfishing from commercials, or more likely a profound effect on the micro scale, possibly less plancton and food for baitfish because of the ridiculous temperatures we found inshore. I measured de mond at over 26 degrees at one point and the breede at well over 20 as well. Those weekends the fish were nowhere.

I think this season also saw two groundbreaking patterns go mainstream that will change our sport for good... the avalon and charlies poledancer.

Oh, and now the tuna are back. Thank goodness!

Surface pattern- The Pole Dancer! Havent fished it but just ordered some from Leland.
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Hi peter.....tell us more about the shark incident?

Ill offer what little advice I have on the spotties. Ur window for targetting them is very small.they are only around in numbers for a short while and they are more interested in fornacating then taking a fly.they are obviously around thru out summer but then u would have to hit the very back reefs and probly chum to attract them. I have only seen one this summer on the back reefs at strand but that might be the way to go and the way to increase a hookup cos the fish will be in feeding mode.
    Last edited by swsmith; 04-04-11 at 08:53 PM.

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Hi peter.....tell us more about the shark incident?

Ill offer what little advice I have on the spotties. Ur window for targetting them is very small.they are only around in numbers for a short while and they are more interested in fornacating then taking a fly.they are obviously around thru out summer but then u would have to hit the very back reefs and probly chum to attract them. I have only seen one this summer on the back reefs at strand but that might be the way to go and the way to increase a hookup cos the fish will be in feeding mode.
    Thanks steve, Ill have to keep trying!

As for that darn shark- Not one of my happiest memories to be honest.... A few guys do know about it. I swam across the channel onto the flat on a spring tide. Weather turned bad, low cloud came in, sky turned dark and it began to drizzle. It was going mad with action, kob crashing into schools of mullet, grunter everywhere. I had my back to the channel standing right on the edge so as to not spook anything. The next thing i hear this MASSIVE commotion and feel a large amount of water push right behind my calves. I turn quick to look and immediately behind me it looks like a jetski just did a turn. Massive disturbance and mud everywhere. I convince myself it was a massive kob and keep wading. By now theres too much glare to really see properly, can only really see through the water a few meters in front. Im stalking a fish and then out the corner of my eye i see what every fly fisherman up to his chest in murky water doesnt want to see.... A BIG (dark brown/black) shark coming towards me at pace. it pushes up onto the flat with a massive bow wake and turns straight in front of me again. Wide head, wide body, dark, dont even want to guess. And not small. I become religious very quickly realizing how much trouble Im in. Shaking now looking out. I track it back into the channel, I loose sight and then next time I see it it breaks back on and chases what I assume were a bunch of grunter on the opposite end. Almost beaching itself, sharp turns, accelerating, chasing, turning looking. Its about 40m away now. Decide i cant wait any longer. I jump into the channel behind me and swim across to land not even looking back.

Now ive had lots of experiences with sharks in the tropics and I consider myself to be quite educated with knowing their body language and behaviour. Ive had lemons come too close, been chased by a blacktip while i chased a GT with blood from coral cuts and a few other not so clever encounters with a Tiger and some Zambi's in Mocambique. In all of those situations I could always see through the water and watch what was going on. This was much much worse. It makes the whole Breede situation look a lot more frightening. i told the guys that I phoned after that I dont think I would have lasted if I stood out there for another 20 minutes.... And I really dont think I would have.

I watched that program on the zambis in the breede and the one shocking discovery was how much time they spent in less than 2m of water. ouch.
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Best pattern for attention and follows
    Xxl bobs banger

Best for actualy hooking up
    Flipper as always
    But tied on a tube with one of those heavy mustad tarpons in the rear

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Hey Denton

I also like throwing a banger, tied on a tube. I tie two, a fat banger and a slim banger (see pic). But they are difficult to cast all day, that's why I prefer the pencil popper. And I have taken some of my best leeries on the popper.

Peter, that is a scary story, eish!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well its safe to say that saltwater fish around the sa coastline are safe cos there are only 5 guys targetting them on fly

Stephen Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast