Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glue for leather / hides

Default Glue for leather / hides

What glue (locally available) would you suggest I use to glue things like leather as in animal skin (hides) and not leather as in plak jou skoen sole?

I've searched the net and found many overseas suppliers but don't wish to spend money importing at this stage.Needs to be water resistant. Your super glues / nail glues won't work,it will dry too hard.

Thanks
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 13-04-11 at 11:01 AM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Vra n paar taxidermist manne?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    What glue (locally available) would you suggest I use to glue things like leather as in animal skin (hides) and not leather as in plak jou skoen sole?

I've searched the net and found many overseas suppliers but don't wish to spend money importing at this stage.Needs to be water resistant. Your super glues / nail glues won't work,it will dry too hard.

Thanks
    Gerrit, will PM you this afternoon, I may have something that will work for you. You need it to be waterproof and flexible?
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post

Thanks
    Hi Gerrit,

In 2008 I ordered some Tear Mender which is the glue Scott Sanchez recommends for the double bunny. I think you helped with this order as bearlodgeangler messed up my amadou patch order and the correct item was sent with your stuff. I used it for the first time in anger a couple of months ago while tying double bunnies for NZ. MC was helping with some tips and tricks for tying the pattern and I think he was impressed with it. It is waterproof and most importantly remains flexible. If you don't want to import any then try the local leather places to see if they sell something similar.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

I've used Plio-Bond in the past with much success, but I think the name has changed of late. Now called poli-bond or something similar.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    Vra n paar taxidermist manne?
    Ken nie iemand naby nie.

Quote Originally Posted by schloshd1 View Post
    Gerrit, will PM you this afternoon, I may have something that will work for you. You need it to be waterproof and flexible?
    Cool Andrew, I'd appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Gerrit,

In 2008 I ordered some Tear Mender which is the glue Scott Sanchez recommends for the double bunny. I think you helped with this order as bearlodgeangler messed up my amadou patch order and the correct item was sent with your stuff. I used it for the first time in anger a couple of months ago while tying double bunnies for NZ. MC was helping with some tips and tricks for tying the pattern and I think he was impressed with it. It is waterproof and most importantly remains flexible. If you don't want to import any then try the local leather places to see if they sell something similar.
    Hi Darryl,

The past two seasons I've used split thread/fur (belly section) to tie my double bunny's.Going full on hide this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I've used Plio-Bond in the past with much success, but I think the name has changed of late. Now called poli-bond or something similar.
    Thanks Graham.

Ps. I've stumbled across a local company that sells full bunny hides and of course glues and what not.!!!!!!!!!! Also check out that wool..Hmm, yummy!!

http://www.tandyleather.co.za/
    Gerrit Viljoen

Default Leather Hides

Leather Hides Store has a full inventory of leather upholstery hides in many colors and prints.If you are an upholsterer looking to buy leather our in-stock Essential Colors and Custom Leather lines are just right for you.

Leather hides for sale.If you are looking to buy leather for a one time project our Premium Closeouts category is a good place to start.either way we pass real savings directly to you! Finally, need 10+ leather hides and don't see it here, contact us to see if our skilled leathercraftsmen can make the item just for you.

Buy leather hides at wholesale leather prices We sell premium leather upholstery hides direct to the public for furniture, automotive, and many types of leathercraft.

8. Default

Sorry G, is this so you can glue a old Zebra skin together for your reel case...

No I hunted bear with Fario last week and the hide is starting to honk in my bakkie. Need glue to "plak" the smell away!
    Gerrit Viljoen

I would recommend Pattax Contact glue.( Gengem I think)
    I remember gluing carpet to the soles of my tekkies on my first few outings on the Vaal. The carpet was gone but the glue stayed.
    Sure is flexible and looks like water durable
    Jannie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast