Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple of Crabs

MC, those are some amazing flies there!

How about a couple of SBSs?
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

[QUOTE=Korrie;189737]When I saw the heading of the thread, I was worried for a minute or two.

Korrie only Nymph's get the crabs you are thinking of. Just think how worried we get when we see a thread - Nymphing Master Class. LOL
    There is 7 times more water than land! Surely The Lord meant man to fish 7 times more than work!

Hi there

Koos, I'll show you the pictures when we get back..... If we get back..... It's still about 35 days before we go and there are still many flies to be tied.

There is a SBS of a very similar pattern posted here: http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=4055

The differences are:

Obviously the actual pattern
    I now use Pratley Wonda Fix in stead of High Build because it has a rubbery consistency and a natural creamy colour. I'm hoping that this will make them more durable.

I swopped the hackle claws for very short sections of barred zonker.

The dumbells came off and I swopped it for the double tungsten beaded coral guard. The double guard is not only totally coral proof but it also positions the fly horizontally with the claws up in the air. It makes no sense to me to put only a single guard because the fly will topple over every time it hits the bottom.

Cheers
    MC

Hi MC

One difference I notice from these flies, and the one you just mentioned on the SBS thread, is that these have the hook coming out the front between the "claws", and the one on the SBS has the hook perpendicular to the fly...the hook point comes out the side, basically.

Why the difference? Does it provide a better action? Or, better hook-up rate perhaps?

Nice flies by the way, well done!

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Hi there

Koos, I'll show you the pictures when we get back..... If we get back..... It's still about 35 days before we go and there are still many flies to be tied.
    Bliksis MC, how long are you planning on going? Cause it seems to me that you have enough already. 35 days left? That means you will take close to a 1000 flies then?

I would love to see the pics when you get back. So if its not Seychelles is it upper Mozambique perhaps?

MC what do you use for the legs on here? Looks flat and not round....
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Awesome flies, I dig the eyes, very very nice!
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Thanks guys

Michael, I changed the angle because I wanted a static crab with good built in movement and the right posture. Basically the claws always point up when the fly is resting, but when you twitch it, they flatten out before going up again. It's a fleeing crab with a serious problem because it swims in the wrong direction.

The static movement and posture was the critical requirement.

Peter, I opted for flat legs because I couldn't find round ones in the colours I wanted. Whatever you do, use silicon legs for durability. The problem with round legs is that the knots often come undone.

Cheers
    MC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12