Thread: New to JHB not to fly fishing

Default New to JHB not to fly fishing

Hi guys,

Didn't know where about to post so thought I'd post here..

I have recently moved to JHB and now have no idea where to go wet a line!!! I know the Dullstroom area but that is about it!!

When I was in Durban I used to trek to Underberg or Kamberg, or throw a fly in the surf. Now that I am up in JHB I am keen to explore and target other fish like barble, yellows, carp..

Am I correct in saying that the season is coming to an end and I should go hunting trout?? or are there other fish I can go hunting during winter??

Cheers for now

Hi Kelvin,

There are several places.

For trout you can go to Oxbow or Brookwood. Gnu Valley is an option, but I blanked there my first time.

As for yellows they say that it is now Largie season on the vaal. For Largie hunting head down to the barrage. Anymore than that I can't help you ito other species.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for the reply.. Have read about Brookwood but into the hook and cook thng.. Prefer C&R unless I need to impress my mother in law, then hook and cook it is!!

Quote Originally Posted by kelvin View Post
    Thanks for the reply.. Have read about Brookwood but into the hook and cook thng.. Prefer C&R unless I need to impress my mother in law, then hook and cook it is!!
    Then you should try Oxbow, and/or Gnu Valley.

I am heading to Oxbow next weekend. Sunday, 15 May. Let me know if you keen
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

hey Kelvin...

welcome to the concrete and barbed wire!

small mouth yellows are coming to an end a bit, but you can still taget them in the winter in the deeper pools, slow moving water and with dries.

large mouth yellows are few and far between and seriously challenging and time consuming. but would be well worth catching one

for trout, dullies is a good option...also not into the hook and cook thing, so i dont do brookwood etc, but i do go to trout hunters for carp, and thats great fun. still get them in the winter, just fewer bigger fish than in summer.

read up on old posts and look for venues and tactics for all sorts...

Frederick, where is this Oxbow you talk of maybe ill join you in the afternoon?

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    hey Kelvin...

welcome to the concrete and barbed wire!

small mouth yellows are coming to an end a bit, but you can still taget them in the winter in the deeper pools, slow moving water and with dries.

large mouth yellows are few and far between and seriously challenging and time consuming. but would be well worth catching one

for trout, dullies is a good option...also not into the hook and cook thing, so i dont do brookwood etc, but i do go to trout hunters for carp, and thats great fun. still get them in the winter, just fewer bigger fish than in summer.

read up on old posts and look for venues and tactics for all sorts...

Frederick, where is this Oxbow you talk of maybe ill join you in the afternoon?
    About an hours drive from JHB towards Bronkies. But you have to book in advance. They only allow a certain amount of anglers
    Frederick

Jammed this weekend but will def keep in touch and must make a plan to go wet a line soon.. need to find some FF buddies here..

Got to run
    Chat soon

Blog Entries

Send me a pm, can plan some trips in the summer for small mouth yellow fish!