Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easter Week Fishing Report Back

Spent my time at three destinations over the easter holidays.

We first stayed at Giant’s Cup for 4 days after surviving an 11 hour trip from Pretoria, which should have taken about 7 hours. Stunning, stunning lake and scenery! The fishing wasn’t easy and we caught only small fish of around 7-8 inches, mostly on dries. Although all the fish caught were fairly small, it was a great experience none the less. Wolf reckoned that many of the larger fish have already moved up the river to spawn. One afternoon caused much frustration as the trout started feeding selectively on small flying ants for at least 90 minutes. Unfortunately I didn’t have a proper imitation at hand and had to sit through refusal after refusal of the fly. I won’t make the same mistake of not having ants in my flybox again!

After Giants Cup we travelled to Rhodes for 3 days. My first visit there, and if I could help it, definitely not my last. I planned to fish a couple of beats on the upper Bell, but unfortunately due to practical reasons, I only got to fish the Bell river in town. I was still rewarded with my first ever couple of river rainbows, also in the region of 8 inches. All fish were taken on Zaks. Very rewarding hunting these little beauties in the clear water. I haven’t seen Rhodes in summer, but autumn there is definitely magical.

We ended our holiday with a few days just outside Clarens where we stayed and fished at Sediba. Here, at last, we managed to land (and lose) some bigger fish around 1,5kg. The fish were very active in the late afternoon, and those we landed were in very good condition.

It was a trip to remember – not only for the fishing, but also for the scenery and realising once again what a spectacular country we live in.

Morné
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks like a fantastic trip ... lovely photos!
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Default as promised - pics of my fishing adventures

here is the umngeni river pics below the Inanda Dam wall

upper umgeni pics - brown trout river

some yellow from the palmiet and troots...lots of troots from Franklin

those big Zuddlers i tied up before the trip worked like the absolute bomb!!!
    they are all destroyed (all 5).

love it

and here are two pics of dolphins off my boat in Durbs and a fantastic morning sunrise service on Sunday Morning!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12