Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: buying a new stealth rod

mark Banned User

Default buying a new stealth rod

I am gonna buy a new rod but cant decide between a stealt infinity 3wt, 10ft or the bomber 3wt, 9ft, I will only use the rod for nymphing, is there a big difference between the two, any advice please!

I think that the bomber will be too stiff.

I have an Infinity, and love the rod.
    Enough flex to cast the ultra long leaders for French nymphing very easy, Yet soft enough to protect 8x, plus the extra foot in the lenght, allows you a bit more freedom.

If you do fish, very thight bushed in streams, the shorter rod might be better.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

If I had to choose between those two, I'd go for the Infinity. Has a much better action than the Bomber...which is quite stiff.

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

For close quarters fishing the shorter Bomber might not be your answer due it it being a stiffer rod.

mark Banned User

would I feel the takes better with the infinity being less of a stiff rod?

Hi Mark

You will only feel the "harder/firmer" takes.

The really soft takes, you will only detect on the movement of the strike indicator.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

The Bomber has a very fast action but is a great rod in it's own right and I know one or two forumers that swear by this rod.

But as the guys have mentioned the Infinity has a slightly softer action and has, in my opinion, a nicer finish.

Personally, if the price is similar I would go for the Infinity. Ganis in Witbank are selling the Infinity for great prices at the moment - pretty much half of the recommended retail price.

One question - is this for Vaal river nymphing?

The reason I ask is that a 3wt be a bit on the light side for that application.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

mark Banned User

I want to use it for trout in streams and rivers.

Then, as Korrie mentioned, 10ft may be too long and even 9ft depending on the type of streams you are fishing.

For streams where your are bundu bashing and that are quite overgrown a shorter rod right down to 7'6" may be preferable. For the more manicaured stuff a 9' would be fine.

Ideally you need at least two rods but thats just me justifying the pruchase of more tackle. You can never have enough
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

mark Banned User

I would be using it around clarens streams and rivers.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast