Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to become a guide?

Default How to become a guide?

Hi guys!

As some of you know I am currently in the Seychelles where I have been working as a marine conservation volunteer, as well as a Divemaster intern for the past 5 months. I am returning to South-Africa somewhere early in June where I will start university in Stellenbosch in February. Fly-fishing has always been my first love and over the past few months has become more than just a sport for me. I now want to learn as much possible to become the best I possibly can. Fly-fishing is something that I would consider making a career out off, but like everything else it demands a lot of effort and experience to be the best you can be. I am willing to work hard to achieve this goal, but will need some help and guidance. Does anyone know where I can go and to whom I can speak to learn and master the needed skills and knowledge that is required? As none of my friends shares a passion for the sport I always fish alone and by that never get to learn from others and what I believe make the same mistakes repetitively without realizing. When I move to Stellenbosch or Somerset-West I will have more opportunities as I know there are a lot of enthusiasts there. Please let me know what you guys think. All help is appreciated. Anyway.... since it is full moon tonight and we have a high tide of 2m, I'm of to the port to see if I can't get tight with a few small GT's or maybe even a queen or bonito!

Quote Originally Posted by christo Stemmet View Post
    Fly-fishing is something that I would consider making a career out off
    Christo - I very much doubt you will be able to make a career/living from guiding only in South Africa. Sorry to sound so negative, but I really think you need to form a holistic approach to this. If you want to make a living from fly fishing, guiding alone is not going to do it.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Christo

here is a link to the botom line imho on the subject, the matter is discussed in quite a lot of detail in the thread.

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...t=8881&page=16

Good luck with your efforts. I can recomend the guides company, they will be able to assist.

I'm not planing to make a living out of it, but I would like to be able to guide for a year or two after university or even holidays. I guess it's not that much about the guiding.... more about being on that level of fly-fishing and to be able to be successful in any conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by christo Stemmet View Post
    I'm not planing to make a living out of it, but I would like to be able to guide for a year or two after university or even holidays. I guess it's not that much about the guiding.... more about being on that level of fly-fishing and to be able to be successful in any conditions.
    Christo dont guide, just host and see how that goes.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Christo - I very much doubt you will be able to make a career/living from guiding only in South Africa. Sorry to sound so negative, but I really think you need to form a holistic approach to this. If you want to make a living from fly fishing, guiding alone is not going to do it.
    Mario, this is a youngster, show some support. Times change, dont cut him down before he has time to experience what it's all about.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Mario, this is a youngster, show some support. Times change, dont cut him down before he has time to experience what it's all about.
    Google the word "holistic" Dave. I was showing support, and just warned him about singling out guiding.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Hey Cristo

Firstly, if you're still in Seychelles, PM. I live on Praslin, presume on Mahe.

Secondly, I have to agree with Mario. I've been involved with the f-fishing industry directly and indirectly since 2001. Its a tough world that requires loads of investment (time, effort and money)for a fairly minimal return.

And remember, being a great guide requires you putting your down your rod and taking 100% care of the client. You do a lot of talking, walking, advice giving, watching, and very little fishing.

This being said, if you have the passion, skill and resources, give it your best shot. You may just become the next Vaughn Driesel or Matt La Buschange.

My advice would be get your degree first and then spend a couple of years guiding for an established company before getting serious about a career.

My 15c...

been there done that, read that tread that Chris posted.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast