Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Shackletons - Upper Zambezi

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,268

    Default Shackletons - Upper Zambezi

    Hey Guys,

    Has anyone been to Shackletons on the upper Zambezi? I have been lucky enough to be invited on a trip up to there in July and wanted to know what to possibly expect there? The website looks awesome! I would love to hear any experiences from anyone that has stayed there.

    They also seem to be well geared for fly fishing.

    Later
    G
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Posts
    7,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Hey Guys,

    Has anyone been to Shackletons on the upper Zambezi? I have been lucky enough to be invited on a trip up to there in July and wanted to know what to possibly expect there? The website looks awesome! I would love to hear any experiences from anyone that has stayed there.

    They also seem to be well geared for fly fishing.

    Later
    G
    Never been there Grant, but have only heard good things about the place.

    July could be the start of the barbel run, but you should have great fishing anyway.

    NOW WHERE"S THE GREEN WITH ENVY SMILIE ?????????????????
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,268

    Default

    Did you say Green with envy Herman?

    Well the only decent things i caught were green:





    Both weighed 3kgs and gave massive fights! They made my trip big time! The double digit Zambezi tiger stil eludes me though, so i shall have to go back for that guy!
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North of the boerewors curtain
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Did you say Green with envy Herman?

    Well the only decent things i caught were green:





    Both weighed 3kgs and gave massive fights! They made my trip big time! The double digit Zambezi tiger stil eludes me though, so i shall have to go back for that guy!
    Very nice Grant! I've caught a handful half that weight on bass tackle at Darwindale dam and they're damn strong so in the river they must really kick.

    If you're after proper double digit tiger you should think about hitting the upper end of the river near Barotse or the lower end between Mana Pools and Caborra Bassa. Fewer fish and a bugger in terms of logistics though.
    Check your knots!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Thanks for the pics, those fish are lovely! Our upcoming trip is again planned around the new moon and I believe that can give you the edge when looking for the bigger boys. It seems you guys also timed it like that although the new moon was on this Saturday past, so you might have come home a bit too early ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    222

    Default

    Returned from shackletons 2 weeks ago, and had a great time. got quite a lot of fish on fly, but nothing bigger than 4lb. In between the fly fishing we did some trolling with big rapala's and a Mozi in hand. This proved to be a very sucessful strategy. As you take the firt sip of a cold Mozi the reel will scream! Using this method all 4 of us managed to land fish over 15 lb, with the biggest @ 19lb. I will definately be back!

    Favourate fly - Copper clouser.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Posts
    7,317

    Default

    Grant, great Nembe there boet. Must have given you one helluve rev.

    Esteph, GREAT tigers there.

    It's good to see that fishing is alive and well in those parts.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    3,574
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Grant, great Nembe there boet. Must have given you one helluve rev.

    Esteph, GREAT tigers there.

    It's good to see that fishing is alive and well in those parts.
    Well next year, it will be another trip to Island View in the Caprivi...their record, if I am not mistaken is 8.3kg River Tiger...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Posts
    7,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Well next year, it will be another trip to Island View in the Caprivi...their record, if I am not mistaken is 8.3kg River Tiger...
    BASTAWARD,

    You must be earning far too much to be doing all these Tiger trips.

    Enjoy them Jules, ENJOY THEM.

    I'm just green with envy
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •