Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zonker strips.....

Default Zonker strips.....

I've never seen various sizes of strips......do any of the shops in ctn stock them.I don't want to try and cut them thinner with a blade.Also been looking for wider pieces to use for sw flies.....any help would be appreciated.thanks
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

There are various sizes or 'widths'; but I have generally found that the packaging [most brands] do not specify width as far as zonker goes.

e.g. I have various Bluewater Flies zonkers and they are generally sparse and narrow, 3-3.5mm wide; the hareline zonker is typically around 4mm, and then I have Spirit River Magnum Zonker Strip 3/8 which is 10mm wide and very thick hair.

Check with FF Unlimited, Frontier or StreamX and specify your requirements, I'm sure they will be able to supply or source according to your needs.
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

Thanks Barend......seems u the only one that ties with zonker on this forum

Stephen Smith

Hi Steve,

Upstream, Stream X and Eikendal should all have zonker strips. Best is to phone them or wait for them to reply here. As Barend said you get them in a variety of lengths and widths. If you need something urgently give me a shout, you can always replace it later.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Thanks Barend......seems u the only one that ties with zonker on this forum
    Never said I tie with them

Use them as bedrooms props

Just kidding... but now I have given myself even more ideas...
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

Hi Darryl....thanks for the offer but I'm not in an urgent rush for it.ill pop in and see what the guys have.just seems like everythime I've looked b4 they all seem to be the same width regardless of the brand.

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    I've never seen various sizes of strips......do any of the shops in ctn stock them.I don't want to try and cut them thinner with a blade.Also been looking for wider pieces to use for sw flies.....any help would be appreciated.thanks
    Hi
    StreamX has at least 4 different widths and various beasts.
    Regards
    Craig

I haven't used *magnum* sized zonkers yet cause frankly anything wider than 4mm (Hareline's bunny is top notch) is too wide for my liking. Anything smaller than the requirement of 4mm I go Squirrel case closed.If you really wanna go that large and your plan is to tie things like Tadpole and Sculpin imitations I suggest you rather cut them (hide) and form the body/tail alla Oom Ollie instead of pre cut Magnum strips.Or please tie some flies with those large bunny's to prove that there is scope for such large *hides*. Not the fur, the hide! Tie some Magnum Rabbit Candy's!!!

Below is a pic of my go to Squirrel streamer pattern (Meet the Flexi Streamer )for moffie visse as well as a DH jobbie with a 4mm hide for yster visse.

IMG_2101.JPG

1.JPG
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 20-05-11 at 11:47 AM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

What is the widest they come in?oom g.....ill use the magnum for the leeries.... Craig thanks for the reply,ill pop in next week.....barend ur Mrs must be happy u can use them as props.....atleast then she can justify why u spens so much money on materials

Stephen Smith

I know of 6.35mm jobbies. If u want it wider you're gonna hve to buy a skin instead and cut it yourself.It really isn't that bad to cut.Have done a few in my time.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast