Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding Boredom when Tying

Blog Entries

Default Avoiding Boredom when Tying

I wanted to chat about fly tying, especially when tying up a wack of flies for an up and coming trip or for a fly swap etc etc

I sometimes find it a tad boring when I have to tie up a large qty of the same fly.

I honestly loose interest after less then 10 flies...

For eg: those little black mayflies I posted early, I could only tie 6...I got so bloody bored that I packed up my gear and took a nap.

Does any one else have this issue? Gerrit, this is not for you as you could tie 450 of the same fly and EVEN count the lead wraps...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

i agree, i have a short attention span and manage 3 or 4 max before boredome sets in ... bummer is i'm always running out of flies
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    I wanted to chat about fly tying, especially when tying up a wack of flies for an up and coming trip or for a fly swap etc etc

I sometimes find it a tad boring when I have to tie up a large qty of the same fly.

I honestly loose interest after less then 10 flies...

For eg: those little black mayflies I posted early, I could only tie 6...I got so bloody bored that I packed up my gear and took a nap.

Does any one else have this issue? Gerrit, this is not for you as you could tie 450 of the same fly and EVEN count the lead wraps...
    I usually put on a movie and tie while watching, and drinking. Mind you the more I drink, the more innovative my tying becomes, with mixed results. It does help eliminate the boredom when you are tying ten of the same flies.

The next thing you know, you have a huge assortment of interesting and experimental flies by the end of the movie!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    I usually put on a movie and tie while watching, and drinking. Mind you the more I drink, the more innovative my tying becomes, with mixed results. It does help eliminate the boredom when you are tying ten of the same flies.

The next thing you know, you have a huge assortment of interesting and experimental flies by the end of the movie!
    I park outside on the patio..lekker....if I had to phuza whilst tying, I think I would have my frekking finger whip finished to a size 1/0 hook...lol..

But, ja, I battle...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Default Net omdat jy so mooi vra...

Tie in stages is the answer.

I don't think I've ever tied 10 completed flies at any one seating.Not because of boredom,etc but because there are other ways to achieve numbers and still maintaining enthusiasm about tying. Boet after all these years I still lie awake at night figuring out steps/materials trying to improve.

It depends on how many days a week you tie per week but I'll give you an example.Ask Koos to draw you a prentjie!

Let's say you only tie 5 days a week (currently I'm on 6 hours a day).Get yourself 5 patterns or 10 AND PLAN YOUR STEPS/STAGES so that you will finish THAT particular fly by Friday.Some flies might only take 5 steps so then it's lekke cause if you do step one today,you'll be finished by Friday and so on for the remaining patterns. This way you will avoid boredom (IMO) and you'll achieve better results. It's very enjoyable doing different patterns on a daily basis vs one at a time and hence boardom. If you don't finish by Friday, continue the following week.If you're not finished by then I can understand your feeling.

And then lastly, the most important lesson I could ever give is proper seating. I'll post a pic of my new chair and it's features in the near future.

Cheers
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 19-05-11 at 04:13 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Tie in stages is the answer.

I don't think I've ever tied 10 completed flies at any one seating.Not because of boardom,etc but because there are other ways to achieve numbers and still maintaining enthusiasm about tying. Boet after all these years I still lie awake at night figuring out steps/materials trying to improve.

It depends on how many days a week you tie per week but I'll give you an example.Ask Koos to draw you a prentjie!

Let's say you only tie 5 days a week (currently I'm on 6 hours a day).Get yourself 5 patterns or 10 AND PLAN YOUR STEPS/STAGES so that you will finish THAT particular fly by Friday.Some flies might only take 5 steps so then it's lekke cause if you do step one today,you'll be finished by Friday and so on for the remaining patterns. This way you will avoid boardom (IMO) and you'll achieve better results. It's very enjoyable doing different patterns on a daily basis vs one at a time and hence boardom.

And then lastly, the most important lesson I could ever give is proper seating. I'll post a pic of my new chair and it's features in the near future.

Cheers

Gerrit, that is bloody good.

May 1st problem, I tie once a freeking month...my enthusiasm levels are low...I need to start tying more and then employ your tips...

Putting on a good movie is a great idea (coupled with a few brews), I reckon the more the movie has to do with fishing the better, maybe even if its a classic Fly Fishing vid...we used to do a similar thing with surfing, on bad days we would re-do the wax on our boards whilst watching a good surf movie to get us pumped up, hmmmm, gonna give this a tie, sorry try in the next few days. I gotta get stuff ready and tie some flies for a great trip coming up in 6 days...whoop!

Blog Entries

Monday tying
    Dry fly tying - A bottle of Stellenzicht Syrah and The Final Cut by Pink Floyd on the i-pod.
    Tuesday tying
    Dry fly tying part 2 - A bottle of Meerlust Merlot and Led Zeppelin II on the i-pod
    Wednesday tying
    Spinning deer hair - A bottle of Nederburg Baronne and Def Leppard on the I-pod
    Thursday tying
    Wooly buggers and nymphs - A bottle of 4 cousins-anything and Bon Jovi on the walkman
    Friday tying
    Nymphs only - A box of Namaqua and Steve on Jacaranda

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Monday tying
    Dry fly tying - A bottle of Stellenzicht Syrah and The Final Cut by Pink Floyd on the i-pod.
    Tuesday tying
    Dry fly tying part 2 - A bottle of Meerlust Merlot and Led Zeppelin II on the i-pod
    Wednesday tying
    Thursday tying
    Wooly buggers and nymphs - A bottle of 4 cousins-anything and Bon Jovi on the walkman
    Friday tying
    You forgot...

Sat...Making Mieliebom - A case of Castle Brandy and Kurt on die HiFi

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Monday tying
    Tuesday tying
    Wednesday tying
    Thursday tying
    Friday tying
    I would join you on Monday and Tuesday nights for sure Wednesday I would substitute Def Leppard for the Lamb lies down on Broadway by Genesis. Thursday and Friday you are on your own, I don't use bait or listen to Steve
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast