Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which 9wt and 12wt rods?

Default Which 9wt and 12wt rods?

Hi Guys,

I want to buy a new 9wt and 12wt saltwater fly rod. Will be used on flats and surf. Budget max R3500 per rod.

What do you think of the TFO range, Stealth Infinity etc. What else?

Thanks!

Dawie

At that budget per rod you could order a sage Xi3 kit and build two up. You'd probably even save some money, and land up with 2 amazing rods.

I have a TFO TiCR X 9wt, really good, cast like an absolute cannon. Handles the wind very well. It is a bit heavy though, the lower section is reminiscent of a broom stick

At that budget per rod you could order a sage Xi3 kit and build two up. You'd probably even save some money, and land up with 2 amazing rods.
    Who will do this?

I also have a TiCRX 9wt and have landed some good fish with it

sent you a PM, there are a lot of places in the US that do it.

I recommend a good google search to find the best deal.

Thanks Mike!

I am also interested in the opinions about the "off the shelf" rods.

Dawie,look at the redington rods at upstream,very nice.The horizon rods sold at frontier are also very very nice for the price.I casted the 9wt tfo ticr the weekend and must say i will get very tired casting it the whole day,a bit heavy.

John, which one is your favourite 9wt?

I have not cast enough brands to really say,but i had a predator and when i chnged to the explorer classic2 it was so much better.The explorer guide series is also very good.At the price i guess something like the stealth bomber would be right up there.
    I have cast the orvis helios and that is just in another league.It all depends how often you use it,the buget etc.Actually thinking a bit the bomber and maybe a magnum+ will be a really good buy.

In season i fish my 9wt twice a week,every week and have got used to it now,but for the ultimate comfort the lighter the rod the better.After a while casting the 9wt you get tired and your concentartion,accuracy etc starts lacking.Get the lightest strongest setup you can for yopur budget,thats all i can add>

I have a TFO Axiom 9wt and I love it, but I must agree with John. After a few hours of casting it does get to you. I still won't trade it for anything else. It loads extremely fast and by this it reduces your false casts, which I believe makes up for the weight and in theory takes the same out of you as any other rod would after a day's casting.. I also kind of like the shimano rods. Very well priced and casts like a dream!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast