Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Eastrand locations

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    28

    Default Eastrand locations

    Hi Guys

    I've recently moved to the Eastrand and have absolutely no idea where there is some water to throw a fly into. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    I'm in the Benoni area.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CPT
    Posts
    2,623

    Default

    There are various lakes in and around Benoni and Boksburg. However, I wouldn't suggest you go alone - not even if there are 2 of you.

    Try Witfield lake in Boksburg or Homestead lake in Benoni/Farrarmere.
    Daryl Human

    The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,042

    Default

    At least you are an half an hour closer to Dullstroom than the guys on the West Rand.


    A couple of nice dams in the Belfast area for trout.
    That is probably 30 to 40 min drive.

    If interested, PM me, I can forward you a name.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    At least you are an half an hour closer to Dullstroom than the guys on the West Rand.


    A couple of nice dams in the Belfast area for trout.
    That is probably 30 to 40 min drive.

    If interested, PM me, I can forward you a name.
    40 minutes from Benoni??? We wish....
    Belfast is at least 1.5 hours away, if traffic is good. Dullstroom at least two hours away.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Benoni, Gauteng
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    A couple of nice dams in the Belfast area for trout.
    That is probably 30 to 40 min drive.

    If interested, PM me, I can forward you a name.
    Its more in the 2 Hour region to belfast...

    And although they have some great water, if youre driving that far one may as well drive to Waterval Bowven and get to some *real* water

    Im also in Benoni so drop me a line and I can give you a fun down on a few of the spots and perhaps even show you a few?
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North of the boerewors curtain
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Definitely not 40 minutes to belfast

    Mark care to mention any of these better venues near waterval boven - I'm always looking for new trout water. If you're referring to other species then no worries...
    Check your knots!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Azania
    Posts
    2,184
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by henkvb View Post
    Hi Guys

    I've recently moved to the Eastrand and have absolutely no idea where there is some water to throw a fly into. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    I'm in the Benoni area.

    Thanks
    Water near or in Benoni is very scarce - most gets used as mix.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Thanks guys

    Korrie, as pointed out, Belfast is a bit of a stretch for a quick-fix on fly. From the replies I see I will have to travel to get to some decent fishing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Benoni, Gauteng
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Definitely not 40 minutes to belfast

    Mark care to mention any of these better venues near waterval boven - I'm always looking for new trout water. If you're referring to other species then no worries...
    Dave im more into the streams than stillwaters so for me it tends to be the Elands s the day fees round dullies are insane for the access you get.

    You can actually chat to the BTA to arrange day access to alot of their waters. But If Im honest I have private access to a lower streatch of the elands and some tribs closer to onder.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Dave im more into the streams than stillwaters so for me it tends to be the Elands s the day fees round dullies are insane for the access you get.

    You can actually chat to the BTA to arrange day access to alot of their waters. But If Im honest I have private access to a lower streatch of the elands and some tribs closer to onder.
    Mark, you wouldnt know of any streams near W/onder with public access? I'm always keen to find some new water in this area, esp. if there is a possibility of some wild fish,

    cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •