Thread: ilombe in june

Talking ilombe in june

hi there

i am going to go for some tigers from the 28 of june to the 3 of july at ilombe island lodge on the upper zambezi. i wanted to know if i am going at the right time, to here what i can expect from the place and time, some tips to tiger fishing e.g. strip speed, spots to find tigers etc, and most importantly if anyone could please suggest a few flies for this time of year pictures would be appriciated.

Flood Plains:
    From June through to late July each year the Caprivi flood plains, situated above
    the lodge, begin to spill their waters back into the main Zambezi Channel. These
    waters bring with them vast amounts of recently spawned bait fish, which intern
    trigger a tiger fish feeding frenzy. Looking for birds and working these productive
    waters is stuff fly fishing dreams are made of. Small flies (size 2/0) tied in
    natural colours are most productive over these times.
    Kasai Channel:
    From roughly the beginning of August each year, when the waters are finally
    beginning to finish draining of the flood plains the action moves to the Kasai
    Channel. For the month of August the Kasai channel is home to a mini catfish
    run. As the waters on the surrounding flood plains drop, the bait fish are forced
    to the river margins triggering catfish feeding frenzies. Tiger fish follow this
    commotion, feeding on bait fish flushed from the papyrus and unsuspecting
    catfish. Fly fishing for tiger fish around this activity is productive and exciting.
    The Rapids:
    In 2004 Tourette Fishing pioneered fishing the Mambova rapids from canoe. Ever
    since then tiger fishing in the Mambova, Ilombe and Impalila Rapids (all with in
    easy access from the Island) has been a highlight for many anglers to the area.
    They use ark inflatable canoes to reach these productive waters. Fishing the rapids
    can be a full or half day affair. Either way, the experience is truly unique and the
    opportunity of latching onto a trophy fish in these fast waters is a real possibility.
    The game viewing and bird watching can also be superb when drifting quietly
    through the many channels.
    There is 7 times more water than land! Surely The Lord meant man to fish 7 times more than work!

thank you very much for that imformation, and please if anyone else out there has more information it would be greatly appriciated.

-semper flies can be good...natural colours
    -clousers: white and blue; orange and white; any tiger colours
    -bunny flies could work
    -take some flippers in black with red and black tail for some fun surface action maybe
    -deceivers also good...

have a look on the site and use the search function to look for flies.
    also, go to a flyfishing shop in your area and ask the guys there before buying flies and materials. they may have been there or could give you some better info than me

When I have gone for tiger fish, I have always only tied one fly.
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=4977

I would tie about 50 plus in WHITE only, with a bead in the front.
    In 2 or 3 sizes.
    With it couple of permanent markers, you can "match any local baitfish color" or create attractor colors.

These flies are virtually industructable, and will last many fish.

The advantage is that these flies are super for bass, barbel, or many sea species. So the flies are never "wasted" after a trip.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Dubbing brushes works very well, if you want to tie many of these flies.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

You are going at about the right time. Speak to Gareth Coombs - he fishes there a lot...
    "Haauw, in the mouth"