Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Flies and how would you fish then

Default 2 Flies and how would you fish then

Hi guys. Some help please! On my way for a round trip around Lesoto, lake Navarone, Rhodes and Clarens. Will be mostly still water and maybe a stream or two if I can find one to fish.

Any suggestions on places to visit with the rod.

If you had to take two flies with, out of experience, what would it be and how would you fish them? Tipped, length, retriece, line est.

Thanks

I haven't fished in those places, but I have fished very near to Lake Navarone. For that area take a #4 dark olive zonker with stick on 4mm eyes.
    The lakes there are mostly quite shallow (2-6m) with some weed. Ask whoever is in charge about where the drop offs and edges of weedbeds are. Fish the zonker with an intermediate line starting on the seface and slowly working the depths. Use mostly short fast strips (don't know how do describe it apart from jerk the gerkin) with occasional pauses. Hold onto your rod tight as the underberg fish (in my minute amount of experience) take the fly really hard. If you are not careful the rod will be ripped out of your hands.

For the for the other fly take a black wooly bugger with a 3.5mm tungsten bead in about #10 or 8. Those work anywhere. Retrieve however you want. I think Poppernel fishes the EC stillwaters quite a bit so you can try speaking to him.

As I said I haven't fished any of those places, but that is what I would take if I was going to any of those places.

P.S I'm jealous.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Machann View Post
    Hi guys. Some help please! On my way for a round trip around Lesoto, lake Navarone, Rhodes and Clarens. Will be mostly still water and maybe a stream or two if I can find one to fish.

If you had to take two flies with, out of experience, what would it be and how would you fish them? Tipped, length, retriece, line est.

Thanks
    Hi,

Craig Rossi just outside Clarins is a must.

Good luck

4. Default

Fishing two flies has alot of application in fishing stillwaters. Sure if you search around the site you will find some useful threads around this...

Just one word of warning. When fishing in heavily weeded dam's, two flies is not neccesarily the best way to go as you can lose fish when the second fly hooks in weed while fighting the fish.
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

5. Default

Hi guys. Some help please! On my way for a round trip around Lesoto, lake Navarone, Rhodes ....
    Remember to drop me a line ...
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks
    Just remember, trout are now during june/july/aug are in spawning mode. Red, hot orange and even chartreuse flies are bright flies that seem at this time of year to irritate trout.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

thanks for the tip on the double fly but dont want to fish two flies. Maybe if I must have said if you could take along only two flies on such a tripan what would it be and how would you fish them? Or let's make it 5 flies.

Thanks

Depends on tme of year etc i guess. Based on the areas mentioned i assume you will be fishing mainly streams:

If i could only take two it would be:

Stimulator
    GRHE

If that was extended too five i would take:

Stimulator
    Parachute Adams
    Humpy
    GRHE
    PTN

When i am in the areas you mentioend i only ever seem to fish Stimulator or Humpy (rough white water) and Parachute Adams (calmer water). You may want to swap the Humpy for a Elk Hair Caddis if you expect caddis on the water though ...
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

9. Default

Or let's make it 5 flies.
    For Rhodes:

1) RAB
    2) Zak
    3) CDC Nymph
    4) GRHE
    5) Large DDD/***dards Caddis
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Dark Olive zonker with stick on eyes and hot orange bead head #4-6
    Black bead head woolly bugger #10
    Peach Zonker #8
    Orange booby #10
    Any buzzer #16-14
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast