Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9 foot 3wt z axis built by Derek Smith

Default 9 foot 3wt z axis built by Derek Smith

Good morning all.....

finally took the plunge a decided to get myself a custom built rod.....
    so decided on the 9 foot 3 weight z axis, cant wait till i receive it..... it will be about 4 weeks till the rod is done.... So really comping at the bit.

What i wanted to find out is how many people out there are fishing custom rods and what are your thoughts....

regards

RRTI

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by river_runs_through_it View Post
    What i wanted to find out is how many people out there are fishing custom rods and what are your thoughts....
    You won't want to fish anything else again after fishing a rod built for YOU! Nice one - you will not be dissapointed!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Something special about fishing a custom built rod.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

i tell you i am so excited cant wait to give it a good run....

Custom rods outperform factory builds. Sage custom blanks are far superior to the factory one's. Or so I am led to believe. Plus you get to play with pretty pieces of wood.

Most of my rods I fish with are custom built...in fact the few factory rods I still fish I'm going sell off once I get around to build some more customs for myself for a change...

There's just something special about fishing a custom-built rod, that was made for YOU, with your choices of reel seat, grip, style, amount of customisation, maybe your name and a quote written on it, etc...especially if you took time and chose the best guides for your taste, the reel seat, the wood spacer, the wraps, everything...then watching it come together.
    Once you fish it, you'll know what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Custom rods outperform factory builds. Sage custom blanks are far superior to the factory one's. Or so I am led to believe. Plus you get to play with pretty pieces of wood.
    hear hear. while i agree with you wholeheartedly ,i hear some of the people who make their living selling the factory builds, in lions territory, wouldn't agree with you.

8. Default

That's why they have that special "little "B" on there Neil - far outmperforming the F rated rods

If you are lucky you sometimes get ones with the "A" grade on - now THOSE are amazing blanks!!!!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    That's why they have that special "little "B" on there Neil - far outmperforming the F rated rods

If you are lucky you sometimes get ones with the "A" grade on - now THOSE are amazing blanks!!!!!!
    Strue Mario. The top "builders" do'nt import the B (cheapy) Sage blanks but do the thing properly and buy "A" grade blanks. As far as the factory builds go, where are the "F" blanks made? USA, Mexico or China?

An "A" grade blank coupled with a balsa reelseat (to save 1.5g) and stained to look like wild onions would be the ultimate imo.

Strue Mario. The top "builders" do'nt import the B (cheapy) Sage blanks but do the thing properly and buy "A" grade blanks. As far as the factory builds go, where are the "F" blanks made? USA, Mexico or China?
    F - Fietnam

An "A" grade blank coupled with a balsa reelseat (to save 1.5g) and stained to look like wild onions would be the ultimate imo.
    Don't forget the cable tie reel foot holder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast