Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switch Rods

I dont think switch rods are a money making racket. They are more accepted in other parts of the World where spey casting is used. There is a huge following of spey tactics in Europe, perhaps more so than conventional single handed tactics, but here, we have our own ideas, as well as a typical South African attitude that anything that is different to the way we do it, is rubbish. Hells Bells, we can't even get the majority of still water guys out here to take 10 foot rods serious, so how on Earth we going to get anyone to take Tenkara and switch rods seriously? It seems that anything we don't know anything about, is a money making racket for the tackle shops to fleece us with....
    Sure, I don't see a need for a switch rod in my arsenal, nor am I about to run out and buy a Tenkara setup, but it doesn't mean that either of them are not fly fishing, in fact, both techniques were there long before some of our more familiar techniques, in fact Tenkara style fishing, is probably the oldest pure form of fly fishing that still exists.
    I remember years ago, seeing a bamboo "switch rod" although it wasn't called that, it was called a " single and double hander", so they have been around for years....nothing new.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Andre,

I go along with you in your concept, with the old Spey or longer Tay/Tweed cane rods ranging from say 11 to 16 feet, I used to use an upper arm halfway up the first joint (sounds kinky for you Cape lads?!) for forward cast, trap the line and then let the whole thing go back, aim at the skies and trap the line again with the forearm finger when the line was about body height then 'shoot' forwards and upwards at the oncoming ME 109's.

What would be great and what be possible under our current scientific times, is to have as 'Celtic' suggested a loch-style rod sensitivity combined with a bit of double-handed strength, able to combine the two disciplines - IE a light Switch?

Very interesting ideas from all, and no correct answer. I'd love to fish an 11 ft 1 to 4 wt on a tree/snag-free stream - what about what when the wind blows across the Holsloot mid/late-afternoon?

I'm a minimalist in that I've lots of flies/tackle at home and I will take out maximum three rods (usually one) for the area I'll be fishing. Maybe a bit more if it's a lad's weekend. I'll try and work out - and often fail dismally - on the type of food the fish will be eating.

So I will use a Switch rod in the appropriate circumstances. Chances are I'll be in such a remote area that I'll only have an Orvis 1 wt or Sage 16 wt to hand..
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Thanks Guys for all the comments on switch rods. It seems like there are a lot of differing opinions. I am keen to get one and give it a try during my next fishing trip. I will then give some feedback.

Just out of interest - the following is a comment on switch rods that I came across elsewhere on the net:

"Don’t laugh before you try one. These rods are here to stay. They are extremely versatile, no matter if you fish on rivers or at the sea. With Switch rods you have the benefits of casting like a double hand rod but working the fly like with single hand rods, a real benefit in many fishing situations. These rods with modern shooting heads give you an opportunity to fish certain places much more efficiently compared to if you fished them with long double hand rods or normal single handed rods. Can you imagine yourself wading deep, steep canyon with overhanging trees behind you and you should be able to launch the cast of 30meters? Of course it’s possible with other type of rods too, but with Switch rods you can make it so much easier! These rods are getting more and more popular on coastal fishing too and they are really handy on bigger trout rivers."
    Sounds intriguing! Will keep you all posted.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12