Thread: Saltwater fly rod advice

Default Saltwater fly rod advice

Hi Everyone,

Some feedback on my (limited) experience and some advise required:

Casting my 9wt TiCrX and G Loomis NRX with the same line, I found that the NRX is nicer to cast and a bit easier With both a full line is cast out. No problem.

Casting my 12wt G Loomis Crosscurrent GLX, is difficult but I also manage to cast a full line out. I am not a big strong fellow and will not be able to cast this rig standing on a reef chasing big GT's all day.

Now I need advice from experienced GT fly fishers:
    Would it work if I use a lighter line, say 11wt or even 10wt on the 12wt rod? Or rather get a 10wt or 11wt rod? (I do not think I have to worry about the possible breaking of a lighter core fly line, as breakoff's should occur a the weakest point, usually a knot.)

Dawie

Hi Dawie,

You might be making too many false casts on that 12wt CC rod.
    I have never had a rod put out a full line easier and faster than a CC 12wt. Maybe you need to look at your casting technique.

With a propper double haul cast you really need to make one or 2 false casts at most to get the full length of line + out.
    Although the rod might be heavier than a 9wt, you just need to strenghten your arm somewhat to swing it around. The line weight should not bother you too much. If it does, you're "airing" too much line.

I hope this helps

Thanks, Odie. Two false casts is all it takes, but my technique could surely improve.

Hi there

If you use a lighter line on the rod you will be able to aerialise more line (and the rod will speed up) - Lefty Kreh reccommends this when constantly casting into the wind. This however also means that you will need more false casts to get the rod to do its work, so I'm not at all convinced that this is a great idea and it will probably use more of your energy at the end of the day.

So, I will think that it's better to just work on your casting fitness.

A lighter rod (and to some extent the lighter lines as well) will struggle to carry the bigger flies and this will also end up using more of your energy.

Finally, the lighter rods will also struggle to handle the GT's. This is simply not an option.

Cheers
    MC

Agree with MCC about the increase in false casting on the lighter line.

Mate, in all honesty, I'd load up on a heavier line if anything.
    Fish a 12 weight rod with a 13 or even 14 line.

Load that rod up and with a half decent technique you'd shoot that into the next time zone. It might pay to load the rod up using the water haul technique towards the end of your retrieve and simply double haul to shoot line out.

Good advice from Gele too.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your inputs!