Thread: Yellowfin flies - "Just Add H2O" is the go !!!

Default Yellowfin flies - "Just Add H2O" is the go !!!

These just off the vice using some of Fishient / "Just Add H2O" products:

Angel Silk, Steve Farrer blend, Brush Fibre and Deadly Dazzle - this stuff makes it so easy to tie....we are in the midst of a run of fish here up to 70-75kg so hope to wet these puppies this weekend.

Also looking at doing these on circles - I am sure that is the way to go for tuna flies fished deep in a cube trail...

Mainly cube flies but also pictured is a small pilchard imitation as well as a small saury imitation that expect will go well.

If you are not already using "Just Add H20" you should have a look at it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by igfafly View Post
    These just off the vice using some of Fishient / "Just Add H2O" products:

Angel Silk, Steve Farrer blend, Brush Fibre and Deadly Dazzle - this stuff makes it so easy to tie....we are in the midst of a run of fish here up to 70-75kg so hope to wet these puppies this weekend.

Also looking at doing these on circles - I am sure that is the way to go for tuna flies fished deep in a cube trail...

Mainly cube flies but also pictured is a small pilchard imitation as well as a small saury imitation that expect will go well.

If you are not already using "Just Add H20" you should have a look at it.
    Very nice, I realy like the pilchard head it looks very realistic.

SBS please?
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Lovely flies! I really like the idea of the pillie head.

Any chance you can tie a "Yellowtail Head" fly? I am tired of trying to find fresh ones for sliding for bronzies!
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Thanks guys - giving the yellowfin a run this weeekend...some fish up to 93kg been taken off here this winter - very good to see, lots of 60s and 70s.

Errr that yellowtail head - woulod that be on a 20/0 ????

Cheers

Hi Steve

Those chum flies are beautiful. Are you fishing them on IGFA tackle?

Down here nobody fishes "real" IGFA tackle for the Yellowfin - it's all a bunch of converted surf sticks and customised lines.......

When I used to fish for these fish - and get smashed up regularly on IGFA tackle - we had a theory that the hook should be as thick as possible because the thinner hooks, like the Trey Combs you're using, tend to cut too big a hole in the fish's mouth during a long fight and would eventually fall out if you get any slack line. Most guys tie their Tuna flies on Mustad Hoodlums. Your thoughts on this??

Cheers
    MC

Yes we fish IGFA, I use the TFO BW HD and that has worked well for us. Solid rod and great value.

I hear what you are saying about hook diameter, I am in the process of negating all that by going to circles...they will work and I have no qualms about the hookups. When cubing on conventional we often leave the rod in the holder rigged with a pilchard on a circle - we have not missed one yet when they do hit in those circimstances.....see att. for recent circle efforts - need to trim the back of the fly to make it more realistic but you get the idea.

Will hopefully have a report from Saturday's efforts.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

The circle looks the business.....

Good luck for the weekend.

Cheers

PS I'll send you a couple of flies at the end of September.