Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Loomis Elite 5/6wt

Default Loomis Elite 5/6wt

Hi!

I am looking at buying a new rod for the fresh, and maby some light salt(for that very small elf and leeries we sometimes get). I was looking at both the explorer guide2 and the Loomis Elite. As I mostly do saltwater fly-fishing I like fast action rods and therefore I kind off like the Loomis more. The Loomis is also half the price of the explorer and this made me wonder if its a good rod. I don't know the loomis range very well and would like to hear from you guys? Any other rod sugestions is welcome. The rod will mostly be used for yellows on the Vaal. Thanks a lot!

Christo

You are talking about the Loomis & Franklin right?

What is your price range? Also, what length are you looking for?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I guess you looking at a 6wt???I am not one for brand ripping but i have seen a few brand new loomis rods snap into pieces while fighting fish,so i would not go there.I must say in the cheap lines rather go for the explorer classic2 or if you can pick up a stealth extreme or magnum at a good price.Of all the really cheap rods i have a few friends with the elbe rods and they have no issues,they just tend to be a bit of a heavy rod from what i hear.Cheaper than the guide and a really nice rod for your needs.Just some thoughts

Spend less on rod(elbe) more on line(airflo shooting head di7) The elbe has more backbone. Used to have one. Doesn't look as nice as the loomis, but works better. Get the 8wt or 9wt
    Last edited by shadowcast; 29-06-11 at 03:37 PM.

If R250 is what you are willing to pay...Why not look at Sensation or these No Name Brand get them while stocks last and please don't come between 12 and 2 on a Friday store?

Loomis & Franklin is a brand that is trying to get into the Carp Specimen Angling market, can't say what they want to achieve by entering the fly market.

I wish that someone would establish a local premium fly rod company. One that will charge between R1000 - R3500 a rod or even more and then when it comes to warranties and claims, they will keep their end of the deal. If they do not have a section for your broken rod section, that they will replace the rod with a newer model. Not at your cost as in, pay a reduced price for a new model. Mahalla my broer, like MTN Call More

The day this happens, I will change my mind/attitude on and towards local brands.

ET, stick to MTN Call more.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    ET, stick to MTN Call more.
    Ja my Oom Poppies

Maybe I should just stick with TFO. I have a 9wt Axiom and I'm very impressed. It's a lot more expensive, but its a rod for life.

Quote Originally Posted by christo Stemmet View Post
    Maybe I should just stick with TFO. I have a 9wt Axiom and I'm very impressed. It's a lot more expensive, but its a rod for life.
    Busy building a 7wt Axiom. How stiff is that 9wt? Cause that 7wt feels like it could be a 9wt.

Serious rod this. Never been a fan of TFO, but this rod is special for sure

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Ja my Oom Poppies
    I'll call you!! Elby is a nice cheapy that does the job, got a Elbe wader too that is spot on, so why go SAG...ggggeee eeeetttttcccc.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast